Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcfrankr

New to African Violet

dcfrankr
11 years ago

I am a senior living in an assisted living situation. I have one African Violet that is well established, has bloomed the flowers have dropped and now I need information on keeping it alive. It looks healthy, but What I have read on several websites causes me some confusion. I use about 20 drops of the regular Miracle Growth Liquid food. I really can't afford to buy African Violet food. I usally water about once a week from the top making sure I don't get water on the plant itself.

Help! Help! Help!

Comments (5)

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Welcome. You didn't say how long you have had the plant. Since you say it is well established I will assume it is not a brand new plant. And if that is the case you have gotten it to bloom at least once so I'd say you are doing well. Everyone has their own way of doing things. What works great for some may not work at all for others. What you are doing is working well for you so as the saying goes,"If it ain't broke don't fix it". Now if it is a fairly new plant and those were the original blooms I would still continue as you are and see how it goes. Just be careful not to over water. Let the top layer of soil get dry before watering. My Grandmother would say the trick to a green thumb is a dirty finger. She suggested sticking the tip of your finger in the top layer to check if it needed watered.

I'm sure you will hear from others. And again welcome to the group =o)

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Welcome dcfrankr ...

Like nyxx said, it sounds like you're doing fairly well with your violet. As she said, be careful not to overwater the plant.

Sounds like your fertilizer is working too.

The other issues to check ...

LIGHT

The plant will have to receive many (10-12) hours of sunlight/fluorscent light every day to bloom its best. A desklamp fitted with one of the new spiral CFL bulbs (daylight) can supply your plant with all of the light it needs. Also, an east, south, or west facing window will usually provide near-adequate light for your plant.

POT SIZE

African Violets grow best in small pots. The pots should be no wider than 1/3rd the diameter of the plant's leaf-spread. Therefore, a 4 inch diameter pot is ideal for a 12 inch diameter plant. If you put your plants in bigger pots, the plant's water absorbing capacity will be exceeded and you will risk rotting the roots.

But keeping doing what you're doing and pay attention to light and pot-size also, and you should be successful with your African Violet.

Happy growing ...

• korina
    11 years ago

You don't have to use African violet food; any fertilizer where the three numbers are near each other (balanced) will be fine. If you're using Miracle Gro All Purpose Houseplant food, about 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water should be enough, and use this every time you water; make sure not to let the pot sit in water, dump it out.

You don't say where you live, but in the desert keep it in a north-facing window; otherwise south or west will be good; keep an eye on it and if the leaves start looking bad, give it less light.

Remember, you can't call yourself an Av expert until you have killed a lot of them.

Good luck and have fun!

Korina, Av expert ;-)

• nyxx
    11 years ago

LOL Korina.

• bspofford
    11 years ago

Just to clarify the light requirements.....INDIRECT sunlight is good, but DIRECT sunlight will cook the plant. If you have a sunny window, a sheer curtain would cut the light to the proper amount, or move it back from the window a bit.

Good to hear from you Korina!!

Barbara

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH