Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Are these good ones?

seaecho1
12 years ago

I won an ebay auction where you could pick three out of about a dozen AVs. I picked Ma's Toxic Spill, Optical Illusion and Pink Fantasy. Does anyone here grow these, and are they good for a beginner grower? I've tried AVs in the past and killed every one of them. I've changed my culture now, and am trying again. Oh, I also won an auction on Optimara Texas, since I read they are easy. I so love the variegated leaves, but since they are more difficult, I figured I'd better start with nonvariegated. Thanks.

Randi

Comments (4)

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just realized the third AV I am getting is BLUSHING Fantasy, not Pink Fantasy.
    Randi

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Randi -

after you will figure the culture right - they are all very easy. I know one really hard to grow plant - and I do not grow it period.
    Ma's varieties are not hard to grow, and plants that originate in Lyndon Lyon greenhouse - (other 2) are really strong.

If you are still fine-tuning your culture - probably makes sense to get to the big box store and and get some there. They are usually Optimaras - and as cast iron as they can be.

I would advise you to get in touch with a local AV club - and see how successful growers do it. If you can get hold of Melvin Robey books - that will help - but there is always a local know-how to fine tune to the area. I cannot open AVSA.org site /affiliates - they have some issues - and I checked on gesneriad society - I do not see anything more SW in CA than LA area. There is a Kartuz greenhouse in Vista - and if you go there - you probably will end with a full car of pots and bunch of advice to go.

Good Luck =

hope this time you will nail it.

Irina

• seaecho1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Irina. Its good to know that the varieties I picked are not difficult to grow. I have since gotten them, and they are not the tiny starter plants you often get--they are between 5-6" across each. I can't wait until they bloom! How much longer until you think that might happen? Oh, I also got a Ness' Crinkle Blue, from another seller. Its blooms were nearly spent, but I did get to see (and remember) how pretty they are. I had one many years ago and its the only one I seemed to be able to keep alive! But I think I solved my problem. I think my mix was too heavy before. I now use about 40% Miracle Gro and 60% perlite. By the way, I love and HATE going to the Lyndon Lyon site, as I want to order SO MANY of their plants! I can see why so many people end up with hundreds of plants! Thanks again!

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Randi -

hard to say when they are going to bloom - depends on your growing conditions. In my setup - lights. wicks etc - it will probably take a month or so.

Ness' Crinkle Blue is a winner!

Irina

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living