Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New, Aug 1 AV's

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 14:38

Okay, I planned on ordering 'one' AV, Tiger..Well, choosing one plant is impossible..Another reason is because paying 12.00+ for shipping isn't economical, especialy if you order one plant here and there..Shipping is 12.75 despite the number of plants you get. (Isn't that a great excuse?) LOL

AV's came from Violet Gallery.
My new babies:

Cherokee Trail
Jean Pierre Croteau
Live Wire
Ma's Watermelon
Ma's Winter Moon (free gift)
Playful Spectrum
Tiger
Tommie Lou
That's it..It's definate I'm donating Philodendrons to the local conservatory. It's difficult, but trying to squeeze philos and Av's in the LR south windows is out of the question.
Philos will do much better in a green house conservatory anyway. I have one, (don't know its botanical or common name) that was bought in the mid 90's, potted in a 4" container. It's now over 20' tall, wrapped around five moss poles. Wound and rewound, and rereround. Some leaves are 10-12" long..if grown in a big area, the leaves will be two to three times larger. It's too heavy to move around, which is another problem.

Anyway, I was really happy when my order arrived today. Very happy..maybe it's the time of year, but shipping was quick. The order was placed Mon.

I've decided to sort AV's by size. Each shelf will hold Large, a second shelf, Standards..Only have 2 mini's, (found a mini (deep purple flowers) at the grocery store last wk.)

I'm hoping, one day, my Tiger will look like the one posted by M3..
BTW, how long does an AV take to grow the size posted by M3? Approximately? Thanks, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New, Aug 1 AV's

Looks like you scooped up a great group of AVs. I can't wait to see Tiger take over, lol!

o

Hi, Toni!

Do you have photos to share of your new plants? I also placed an order with Violet Gallery a few days ago and mailed my check to them yesterday. Sounds like you have some nice ones!

Thanks,
Barbara

o

Lucille, LOL..same here..I don't know what the person did to grow such a huge AV, but whatever, I would love to learn his/her secret..LOL

Hey Barb..I'll take pics and 'try' posting. My husband updated his computer from XL to Vista..since, my pics work different. But I'll try figuring how to dl..If I can't dl here on Gw, I'll try adding to my website..If that doesn't work, I may have to email directly to you. LOL Don't you love when men 'play' w/their toys??? Sheesh.
Do you want me to take one pic per plant, or all together? Toni

o

Hi, Toni!

Whether it's one pic per plant or all together, whatever is easy for you!! I like looking at other people's plants!

Thanks again!
Barb

o

"LOL..same here..I don't know what the person did to grow such a huge AV, but whatever, I would love to learn his/her secret..LOL"

You joined the Violet Reflections Forum, but have you read anything on there yet? The person who grew the Tiger in the pic I posted here (the guy holding the plant) is a member there, and has talked some on there about how he gets such big plants. He's also very willing to answer questions about it.

o

Hi M3, I've gone to VR, but when I click on a topic, not much happens. I dont know if it's my computer or VR.
For instance, when I click on Chat 1, a log pops up. Is that supposed to happen?
For ex:
Say I click on chat 1. This is what I get.
First, there are a groupd of topics, like Variegated Av's.
Then.
07/7/05 (time) 'X'__IL logs in at [207.43.75.34]
07/7/05 (time) 'X'__IN logs in at [172.147.34.252]
Same info as above...(date/time) early again, 'name'
This is what I get no matter which chat I click on.
Is that what's supposed to happen?

Barb. I'm trying to figure how to transfer pics from camera to computer..LOL..My husband updated his computer from XL to Vista, and now my pics won't dl..If anyone knows what I have to do, please let me know. Thanks.
I've been trying to figure it out more than an hour, sigh..Toni

o
RE: VG Pics

AV'sAug1-08

Barbara in LA: hope this works..If not I'll try another way..I also took individual pics of each new AV..
If this picture works, the left side is a bit blurry, there was a smudge on lens..Toni

o

Tiger

Here's a picture of Tiger..One day, (about 20 yrs from now) this plant may be 30"+ diameter..LOL. Right..Toni

o

Wow, those are fantastic!! Your Tiger has beautiful leaves!! Is it also located on the lower left hand side of your first photo? I love the different leaf colors of your choices... Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! Barbara

o

Hi Barbara..thanks, so much. I took pics of the new AV's grouped together, which is why yo saw Tiger in both pics..I didnt know if it'd come out.
The last bunch of pics taken had a blur, I'm hoping it was from the smudge and not a broken camera..
Which plants did you order from VG? Toni

o
Your AVs...

look huge (compared to the plants I received from Rob's); I can't wait to receive my AVs from VG!! I really love the simplicity of the species; so my order from VG consist of all species:

S. Botanika, S. Brother Paddy, S. tongwensis, S. Cha Simba, S. pendula var. kizarae, S. pendula var. 'S.T. Iverson', S. Sigi Falls, S. tongwensis "Uppsale Clone', S. magungensis var. minima, S. ionantha, S. ionantha 'Mather Clone', S. confusa, S. confusa "Mather Clone", S. difficilis #2, S. grotei, S. grotei 'Protzen'.

I think most are all warm-growing. Barbara

o

Barbara, Nice to find another species lover. I find their "natural" look so refreshing compared to the highly developed hybrids. (but of course, I like them too!) My favorite species is perhaps brevipilosa, mostly for the velvety feel of the leaves. Hope you enjoy your purchases from the VG. Terri

o

Hi, Terri! I have brevipilosa #10, and I like the shape of the leaves! My favorite right NOW is velutina for color and shape and fuzzy on the leaves! I have both the regular and the lite. :) Barbara

o

"Hi M3, I've gone to VR, but when I click on a topic, not much happens. I dont know if it's my computer or VR.
For instance, when I click on Chat 1, a log pops up. Is that supposed to happen?
"

By the sounds of it, you are going to www.violetreflections.com, the VR homepage which has just a lot of older archive stuff..

You need to go to www.violetreflectionsforum.com, that's where the forum is.

o

Good Afternoon..What are brevipilosa and velutinas?

Barbara, what does the S stand for?

M3, I clicked on the link you posted. I'll try the second link and hope it works..if so, it'll go on Bookmarks. Thanks, Toni

o

Hi Toni,

S stands for Saintpaulia which is the latin name for African Violet.

Larry

o

Oh Lol, Larry..I thought it was a type of AV. An abbreviation. For instance, Robs = R or Ma's = M.
I've never heard of the species Barbara listed.

o

Hi, Toni!

Terri and I were talking about african violet species. These are just two: brevipilosa and velutina. I hope it's okay for me to post this link; they have plant/flower photos of them:

http://www.gesneriads.ca/gensaint.htm

Barbara :)

o

Hi Barbara,

It's no problem posting Ron Myhr's gesneriad website. Here is a hot link for those who would like to visit it.

http://www.gesneriads.ca/gensaint.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here