Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Violet Fungus?

Posted by automatic (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 15:02

I'm taking care of my mother's african violets and I'm not sure whether or not the following is a fungus: http://imgur.com/pfwZv.jpg

It's yellower than the plant itself and to me it looks like some sort of mushroom. Should I move it away from other violets? Is it safe to have in the house? Where could it have come from?

My mom says it might just be new sprouts but I'm gonna post here to make sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Violet Fungus?

WOW. I have never seen that before. I'm sorry I can't help you figure out what it is for sure, but it definitely looks like some sort of fungus. It is definitely not new sprouts. To be safe, I would isolate it from the other plants, but it shouldn't need to go outside of the house. Good luck, and I hope someone else on here knows for sure what it is :\

o

It looks like it may be what is commonly called the yellow houseplant mushroom (scientific name Leucocoprinus birnbaumii). It won't hurt you unless you eat it and shouldn't bother the plant at all. For cosmetic reasons though you might want to remove the mushrooms before they mature and reproduce and also change the potting mix so new ones don't sprout from spores in the mix.

o

Hi,
I agree with Donna. It looks like a mushroom and more than likely the spores were in the mix. Repot and get rid of them before they get too large and start to affect the symmetry of the plant.
Fred in NJ

o

Nice little mushroom cluster you have growing there. Donna is correct in the name, and it is fairly common. The spores are in the potting mix, but since it appears to be mostly peat, you or your mom will want to change it out. I would pluck it out just so it doesn't cause the leaves to grow out of shape. Since the mix is mostly peat, be real careful about not overwatering the plant while it is in your care. When repotting, use a potting mix with 1/3 peat, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 perlite.

Barbara

o

Thank you! I have repotted it!

I'm glad I just had to repot, because I think that plant had the best symmetry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here