Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curtis0353

Water PH

curtis0353
15 years ago

I have been trying to grow AVs since spring with somewhat limited success. Many of my violets have a yellowish tone and a haloing around the edges of the leaves. None of my plants have a dark green color that you find in really healthy plants. I have been wick watering and constantly feeding them 1/4 teaspoon of Jacks Classic Fertilizer per gallon of water.

I have well water and I have long suspected that the water ph here may be the probem. I am aware that if the ph is too far off that the fertilizer that is being used is of little value since it can not be taken up by the plants. I purchased a water ph test kit today and confirmed that my water ph straight out of the tap is below 6.0. I can not tell you how far below 6.0 it is, since the kit that I purchased only measures down to 6.0, and anything lower will read as 6.0.

I want to bring my water ph closer to 7.0 and in experimenting with a couple gallons of water I was able to determine that if I added 1/4 teaspoon of Alkalinity Increaser that I had here in my home that normally is used to balance the water ph in my swimming pool, that the gallon of water had a ph reading of just slightly less than 7.0.

My question is do any of you used pool or fish aquarium ph adjusters to change the ph of the water that you are using for your violets. I am wondering if this would prove helpful to adjust the ph using the swimming pool water ph adjuster or if it might be harmful to the plants.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Curtis

Comments (2)