Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fearfire

Been having trouble growing a violet for a while now, help?

Fearfire
9 years ago

First of all, here is an album of pictures so you can see what is going on: http://imgur.com/a/zzXbc

Alright, so I bought this particular plant from selective gardener about 2 weeks ago. It was in good shape, sprouting new leaves and flowering. I placed it in an East/South-East facing window, drawing a sheer curtain down during the few hours it was getting direct sunlight (probably 4 hours a day).

Now, here's where I probably messed up: I bought a self-watering dish and left the plant in there with water just below the bottom of the pot, using wicks to bring the water into the soil. However, I left it in there for about a week, because I though it would only give the plant a little amount of water. However, I read recently that you should keep the plant in a dry pot and only place it in the self-watering device for 30 minutes once a week. Which is true?

Anyway, the plant stopped flowering and now looks like this. Is it getting enough light? Is it getting enough water? I use a 14-12-14 mixture of plant food, in case you're wondering. I rotate it 90 degrees each day.

Thank you very much if you can help!

Comment (1)