Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_bohanan

Large/Standard African Violets

Marlene Bohanan
13 years ago

Many years ago I had some very large african violets but had to give them up. Now I would like to raise them again but I am not sure how to determine which ones will get to the largest sizes. Are some of them named? If so, where can I find a list. I looked on the AVS website but didn't find anything. Thanks

Comments (9)

• Christine
    13 years ago

I don't know of a consolidated list of all large African Violets.

However, if you have the First Class 2 program you can search for large ones. There are 2,983 listed there.

If you don't have the program, just check out various vendors. Look at the descriptions in the standard categories. Most of the descriptions will indicate if the plant is standard or large. Here are a couple of vendor examples that also have lots of great photos (you'll have to copy and paste the addresses - they aren't links):
    http://www.lyndonlyon.com/AV%20List%20Standards%20NF.html
    http://www.bloomlovers.com/

Warning: large means over 16" diameter. Some get much bigger than that! They are gorgeous, but do take up a LOT of space. Good luck on your search. Hope you find some great ones!

• snappyguy
    13 years ago

From my understanding many of the Buckeye violets are in the large category. I have Buckeye Rockin' Robin and Buckeye Candy Kisses, both of which are larges.

• Marlene Bohanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna & Snappyguy, thanks. I found a couple that I really think I'll enjoy having. Donna, I know they are quite large but I have deep, deep window wells that are just begging for african violets growing on them.

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Tiger is known for growing a bit on the large size. Harbor Blue is on the plus size too although perhaps not one of the largest.

Diana in PA

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Diana is correct to point towards oldies. At some point of time it was very desirable to grow something close to 30" in diameter. Oldies - Tiger, Tiger's Son, Fisherman's Paradise, Denim's Halo - that's what I tried - you can really grow a wagon wheel size specimen. The faster way to do it - do not let them bloom - remove buds and repot in a bigger and bigger pot while they grow.

irina

• snappyguy
    13 years ago

If you like chimeras I find Yukako grows quite large, even though I don't think it is listed as such in the description. Mine is currently 17" and has never been disbudded. All I do is fertilize and repot when needed.

Mark

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I side with Mark. Yukako is an all around excellent variety. I got it growing and blooming non stop - and it was getting large - close to 20"- and it some point it became old - an I needed to restart it from a crown - I think if you repot and repot them - some of them develop thick trunk and lose some vigor. So there is a limit on how old and large it can be.

irina

• Marlene Bohanan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I had not paid much attention to the chimeras but just now fell in love with Lyon's fortune teller. I have also ordered several plugs that were on the large list. I found many new varieties I would like to grow but need to ease into this - otherwise the house will look like a greenhouse. Again, thanks. Marlene

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Perhaps I should note that I just looked at the ones I had growing in the window :). Tiger can grow to 3' or so but I don't think it will do it under natural light (not here anyway).

Best of luck with your new plants - those photos sure look good, don't they? ;)

Diana in PA