Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irina_co

Trailer DVD

irina_co
14 years ago

AVSA.org just posted a new DVD in its "STORE".

It is African Violet Trailers - Making Them Do What I Want Them to Do. Price $19.95

I had the pleasure - together with our GardenWeb friend DragonFly - to be on this presentation. It is something - and tons of slides on "how to".

Dr. Price sure knows how to grow trailers - he takes the top AVSA awards - and he has 53 of them.

I think it is a great DVD to have and it can be an excellent program to show on the club meeting. May be even split it to 2 parts - a lot of information.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA store

Comments (20)

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I saw this just last night and I'm tempted....but I hate to spend $19 for something I can't see first! With a book, I can tell if the content is solid and the writing is good. With a DVD, you don't know if the person knows how to explain things.

Irina, you've worked with him on this. If you didn't know anything, do you think he explains things in a way a novice can understand? Is he thorough?

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

L.O. -

i didn't work with him - I was at the same Trailer program that Dr. W.Price presented in Reno - and now is put on DVD. He is THE best gesneriad grower of the time, period. Something like if he would shake my hand - I wouldn't wash it for a month at least - to preserve THE GREEN TOUCH ;-))

The program includes 100 some slides - and looks like - I take this trailer starter - next slide - that what needs to be removed - 2 weeks later - now I remove this - 3 weeks later - here it is again - and that's what needs to be done...You basically do not need comments - it is all photographed through from the day one to the day you take it to the show.

The problem with them trailers - you actually need to sculpt them all the way through. You cannot just take the one that lookes nice on your shelf - remove spent flowers - and take it to the Show to get The Best ribbon. I tried - and I see the leaves I need too remove - and oops - now it has gaps.

A lot of trailers grow really nice - most of Rob's do - without intervention. But not to the extent of the perfection. Dr. Price got an Award for Trailer collection in AVSA in Reno - and they were standard trailers. I remember 2 - really beautiful Senk's longifolia variegated white one - something with White Egrets in the name - and old Tinari's one - with VERY long sticking out petioles. In any other hands this thing would look like a crazy mop.

Yes - even a novice will understand. I would say it was the best Program of the Convention.

Irina

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Sounds like a ringing endorsement!

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aha -

and I am going to purchase it for the club.

Irina

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

"He is THE best gesneriad grower of the time, period. Something like if he would shake my hand - I wouldn't wash it for a month at least - to preserve THE GREEN TOUCH ;-))"

Irina, I know EXACTLY what you mean! He hugged me at the airport in Tulsa when we were leaving the 08 convention. I waited until he was walking away and not looking and quickly rubbed the 2 plants I was bringing home "for luck".

Yup, I'm a real dork sometimes.

:-D

• dragonfly2008
    14 years ago

I absolutely agree with Irina and Mermaid. Dr. Price's plants are second to none - and I have heard that he grows most of them in natural light! His plants are quite frequently featured in the AVSA magazine, and often on the cover as well. I have been growing violets for decades and have never seen trailers grown as beautifully as his are. You should see his other gesneriads as well. Wow - he sure has a magic touch. Wonder what his soil mix is? Should have asked him when I had a chance at convention. Next year....

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dragonfly - hi -

we need to start saving money fro the Gesneriad Convention in Vancouver. The barbeque at Bill Price's is part of the program. We can see all the trailers (53). But they say that Vancouver is NOT cheap.

Irina

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Irina, I haven't finished this yet, but so far this item isn't by Dr Price. It's an old slide presentation called Classic Trailer Program, that was presented by Bev Promersberger.

I don't have time right now to go through it all, but I wasn't expecting this...

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I stayed up anyway to finish this. To anyone who is planning on buy it, you might want to reconsider.

1. It doesn't have any content by Dr Price that I can find
    2. It didn't supply me with enough information to grow a trailer at all. It's maybe worthy of a chapter in a book and a not-so-well written one at that.

It certainly wasn't worth twenty bucks; if I could, I'd get my money back.

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lath -

there is one by Bev Promesberger - I do not have it, and there is one coming by Dr. Price - and it has Reno 2009 on it.
    That's the one I recommended - and it is the presentation Dragonfly and I attended. I saw it already at the fellow club president home - but possibly it was a pre-release copy.

My apologies for deceiving you. I was sure it was the one.

Irina

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lath -

can you send me a personal email - may be I will get it off your hands - since it is my fault.

Thing is - we need to support AVSA and buy stuff from them. The money is tight - and they already decided to shrink their beautiful AV magazine to a much smaller size.

Irina

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Irina, it sounds like the new one is not available yet from what you are saying and that you were excited about the new one, but not aware that it wasn't out yet. The website is probably what is deceiving because it doesn't tell you enough information to make an informed decision. All it would have taken is for them to give me a description of it.

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I spoke to AVSA regarding this DVD, and was told there is no DVD on trailers by Bill Price. She didn't know if there was one in the planning or not.

Barbara

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Irina, I sent you an email last week; not sure if it went through.

I am waiting for AVSA to get back to me. Barbara, I thought I understood Irina to say that she both saw the original program given by him but also saw the actual DVD. Irina, did I get that right?

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope - it didn't make it. Since I do not want to publish my email here - what I would recommend - is - go to gloxiniagesneriadgrowers.org - and send me an email through CONTACT option - it will go to me.

I saw an original DVD - and I heard during the convention that Bill Price's presentation would be available eventually. So - when I saw the CD disk with this program - I thought - great - it is here. Now I think it was a personal gift from Dr. Price.

I will try to find out how and when it will be possible to get it.

I.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I talked to AVSA today; they do not know when it will be out. They said it was being worked on, but the office manager did not have a date.

• irina_co
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got contacted by AVSA manager too - and the information is the same. Bill Price's CD is not ready yet, but it is coming.

My apologies for deceiving everybody. As soon as the real deal will be available I will make sure that we all know about it.

The CD I saw was really a personal gift from Dr. Price and was not for distribution.

Once more I want to say that we all need to support AVSA, there is a lot of interesting stuff in their Store and our purchases help to keep them going and AV magazine to have color photos.

Irina

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I just got back from the New York State African Violet Society's show in Albany, NY. Yesterday I attended Bill Price's presentation on trailers. It was fantastic!!

After the presentation, I went up to him and asked him about this DVD. He said Yes, there is one in the making, and he hoped it would be done in time for the AVSA national convention in Raleigh, but couldn't promise it.

So, now we know for sure it isn't out there, it will be out there, and it will be great when it is out there!

He shared not only his wealth of knowledge, but he brought enough crowns or leaves for each of the 50 attendees to select three items. That was a lot of baggie work!

And he actually grows over 250 trailers. I don't know if they are all different hybrids; I wish I had asked him.

Barbara, still basking in the glow of a successful trip

• luviolets
    14 years ago

Barbara,
    I share in your glow, having just finished planting up the multitudes of leaves from the show. Very exciting weekend indeed. Can't wait for the DVD as I have some scary examples of "trailers gone wild". I'm just a little afraid to go pruning away at it like he did. yikes!

Donna

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Donna,
    did you plant today? I'm curious if you follow the astrological planting schedule printed in the AVM.

What are your thoughts?

Dora