Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing AVs from seed

Posted by SueOK 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 17:29

Someone very nice sent me a package of Park's AV Fantasy Teacup Hybrid seeds. Does anyone here have experience growing AVs from seed? I tried starting gloxinias from seed years ago, with little success, but I'm older now, so I can do this, right? Any words of wisdom here?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing AVs from seed

I'm just growing out my first batch of seeds :-)

I didn't have much of a plan when I started, moistened some commercial av mix, put it in a sour cream container, made sure it was level, scattered the seeds and closed the container off with clear food wrap. Placed it on my grow shelf and waited...
Then, some 8 days later, I found my first sprout.
The second seed pod I planted the same way, but using av soil cut with perlite. It yielded about 1/3 as many seedlings. Now each seed pod is unique, so I don't know if the choice of potting mix mattered...

One thing to pay attention to though - check how many seeds are in that packet. My first seed pod yielded 150 seedlings - so the sour cream container got really crowded really fast...

I'll add the link where I documented my little adventure...

Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: My AV hybridizing experiment

o

Thank you, Karin. I saw your thread, but thought you were in way too deep for me! I enjoyed reading through it now though. I guess I'll jump in and try it. Just planting a package of seeds sounds easy now.
Sue

o

Sue
Post some updates if you would. How long to sprout, how many, and other details. I started a pack early last spring but I think it was too cold. We don't heat in the spring but it gets 40 and below at night
Nothing came up for an entire pack of seeds.
Thanks

o

Photos are always awesome! Besides, saves taking notes ;-p
I'd be interested in how a commercial seed mix would do compared to a 'fresh' seed pod. Losses would be more acceptable, I expect, if you haven't been nurturing the pod for over half a year...
But once they sprout, they're all your babies, so selecting which ones to grow out is harder than getting them started to begin with...

Karin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here