Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtygardener73

Is anyone growing AV's under CFL's?

dirtygardener73
12 years ago

I was just wondering if they work the same way as the tubes, better or worse? I am trying to figure out how to set up my shelves for growing AV's indoors, and was reading on the University of Florida site. They said you could even grow them under LED's, but I don't know anything about that.

I was thinking that if I could use CFL's, I have a couple of old goose-neck lamps I could just stick up there on the top shelf until I can get a "for real" grow light setup.

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

The best of light/$ ratio is 48" fluorescent tubes. If you get a shoplight with 2 T8 - you will be using 64Wt/hour and you can grow 16 large plants under them or 20 standards or 60 minis or about. Under your goose neck - you can grow 1 (one) plant. If you can find large enough horizontal surface you can dedicate for plants - hang the shoplight above them - and enjoy. the tubes give even light distribution - multiple goose neck lamps - do not.

LED - will be expensive to buy.
    For real grow light setup is usually made out of "metro" shelving and 3 shoplights. Buying a specialized grow cart for avs will set you back for 900 buckazoids - instead of 120.

The difference can be used for a nice trip to the AV Convention in Detroit next year.

Irina

• aegis1000
    12 years ago

I use CFL's to supplement light coming through windows.

Most of the windows have a south-east exposure.

The CFL's have worked well for me to keep my plants healthy and in bloom. I've got about 50 plants, ... and I use maybe (10) household lamp fixtures for the CFL's.

I've used shop light fixtures before. I like the decor and the flexibility of the CFL's better so far.

• ocelaris
    12 years ago

I think there is some confusion as to what "compact fluorescents" are... they come in many shapes and sizes, both the "twists" like you have at home AND they can come in tubes as well. Irina is right that long tubes are the most economical. People do use the twist compact fluorescents, it's just they're more expensive long term because the ballast (power supply for the tube) is built into the base, so you have to buy the ballast when the tube burns out. Where as with the long tubes you replace just the tubes and keep the ballast forever... Plus like Irina said, you can fit more in a 4' long tube :)

Compact fluorescents as a technology are very similar to tubes, basically they're folded back on themselves, so instead of having the pins at 2 ends, they are both at the same end... As a general rule of thumb, the smaller the diameter of the tube, the more efficient it is. We have the standard T12 tubes which are 12 x .25" around or 3"(circumference), then T8 bulbs are 8 x .25" around or 2" lastly T5 bulbs and Compact fluorescents are typically 1.25" around. T12s being the cheapest, T8 almost the same price (and the standard these days), and T5s and Compact fluorescents being the brightest and most expensive.

Hope this helps. Here is an example of the Tube form of Compact fluorescents:

Here is a link that might be useful: AH Supply

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio