Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to pollinate an african violet?

Posted by hippeastrumadmirer 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 18:08

Hello guys i was just wondering how can i polinate an african violet? I know in the middle there is this yellow thing, that's probably the pollen and the stigma is the long female part? But what I don't get is that the african violets have no pollen, if if they bloom, like the yellow is a very dry yellow? How do you pollinate it? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to pollinate an african violet?

this is what i did. you pull off the flower you'l use for the dad. cut its anthers in half- the anthers are the yellow sticky up part in the middle. rub the anthers over the pistil in the middle of the anthers of the mom plant. nsome plants work better as moms.if your lucky itll take and a seedpod will start to swell up. always lable your crosses that way if you like it you can do it again. according to books a seedpod is ripe when it dries up.

o

Just to clarify Leslie's response, the pollen is INSIDE the yellow anthers. That is why it is cut in half.

You should cut away the pollen sacs (anthers) from the 'mom' flower as soon as it is open to avoid self pollination. Pollen sacs of the 'dad' should be allowed to mature 5-7 days before being used to pollinate the flower. And, the stigma upon which you place the pollen is usually ready to accept pollen 2-3 days after the flower is fully open. So pay heed to your timing!

Good luck!

Barbara

o

Be prepared if it takes though. You will have a seed pod with a 100 or so seeds. And any one of them could be the next big winner at a show.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here