Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double crown or sucker

Posted by gramyjan Arizona (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 18:35

I have a semi-miniature Rob's Argyle Socks that suddenly developed what looks like a double crown. It is right at the top of the plant. If it is a sucker I can't tell which is the real crown and which is the sucker. How to separate this and save the plant?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jan in Arizona

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double crown or sucker

When a sucker grows so close to the main crown sometimes it is necessary to choose which one is the real crown and just destroy the other one.

Sometimes you can nudge it out with a barbeque skewer or even a pencil. But often it gets damaged and is of no use.

Nancy

o
RE: double crown or sucker

Hi,
If it has two crowns, there is a sucker on the plant. As Nancy said make a decision as to which one would look best if it were the main crown and remove the other. I have used an X-Acto knife to remove a sucker from a crown and potted it up to give me a second plant. Generally when the sucker is very close to the top and removing it leaves a large space, I strip the plant down to a point where the sucker was removed and then repot the original plant.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here