Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

Serious help needed with my Gloxinia's

philpet
9 years ago

Hey everybody. Ok I know theirs another forum for this but I am much more comfortable posting it here where I know everybody. This is my miserable atempt at growing gloxinias.
Problem 1.the two bigger plants, I clumpsly broke the top from the one with the two remaining leaf( I potted the top in the solo cup) had no idea what to do??? Should I have removed the leaves and potted them seperate?. The bottom half has a new shoot coming up so what do I do now?.
Problem 2. The other big one with three leaves its done blooming( bought it in bloom) now its just sitting there doing nothing.
Problem 3. The two small suckers to the front, the parents bloomed then died down, now I have about three different suckers in the one pot, what do I do??.
Problem 4. The other small suckers in the other pot grew off the sides of the mother plant, now the stump of the mother plant is still green sitting between the two suckers, what do I do about them??.

I got the first gloxinia as a gift this year and and bought the other three at a flower show in may so I have no idea what to do, I know the questions are many and maybe stupid but I really would like to keep them alive. I have just actually figure out African Violets and thought I would try Gloxinias, they have such awesome big blooms. Ok, all advise welcome no matter how small or simple. It was the help I got here which helped me with my Violets so hopefully my gloxinia's will be lucky too. Oh sorry for such a long post but I really need the help. Thanks again Velleta

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

Firstly, there are no stupid questions!!!

Gloxinias grow a bit differently from AV's. They have a definite bloom/rest cycle. After the plant has finished blooming , gradually cut back on the water. The leaves will die off and the plant will go completely dormant. Glox grow from tubers. You can rest the tuber in a cool place in the pot or in some peat mix. I've done it successfully both ways. In the spring, probably February where you are, re-pot the tuber in fresh mix and begin watering sparingly until you see growth. Then water heavier according to how much top growth you have.

Have you ever grown tuberous begonias? The growth cycle is pretty much the same. Otherwise, care for as you do your violets. Some grow theirs cooler, but I have always grown mine with my violets.

Problem 1. Let the new shoot grow. The tuber must have leaves to replenish it for new growth next year. Leaves are important as they are the food factories for the plant. Don't worry about flowers right now. Although that is the part we all like the most, plants only use them for reproduction. It's the leaves that must be cared for at this point.

Problem 2. Your plant may be moving towards dormancy. Continue to care for those important leaves but when they start to look wilty or yellow, gradually cut back on watering.

Problem 3. As long as you have actively growing foliage, care for it. Again, when it starts to look iffy, cut back on the water.

4. Remove the suckers, root them and continue to care for the foliage.

I found this site for you. It has excellent instructions on how to propagate from leaf and stem cuttings. You could use this for your broken off top. It also has suggestions on what to do with those suckers if you don't want to leave them on the plant.

I have read that seed-grown Gloxinias are shy re-bloomers. Don't worry! You'll do fine!

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting Gloxinias

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Linda now let's see if I got this correct, leave the two big ones as is for now the two other pots with the suckers, the one that contains the three small ones leave it until the suckers are bigger then pot separately (would these have separate tubers or would I have to cut the one big tuber in threeð¨) scary.as for the two suckers growing from the sides of the mother plant I should remove them and plant them? (Will they grow a tuber at the bottom) or do I split the mother tuber in two? .I just want to be absolutely sure before I do something wrong and kill them.thanks for responding I know I can always count on you to set me strict. Velleta.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

When growing Gloxinias, or anything from a bulb or tuber, it is important to leave foliage on the plant to nourish the tuber for the next bloom cycle. You may have to experiment a bit to see what works best for you, but I think you summed it up correctly. The glox that had the top knocked off needs to regrow foliage. If it grows more than one crown, (just like violets sometimes do when their crowns are removed or injured), you can let both grow or leave the strongest and try to root the other one. Root it just like a violet leaf-in open soil, nicely moist. It will grow a tuber at the end. You do not need to take part of a tuber with it.

As for the glox with the mature crown with the two suckers, I would remove the suckers and try to root them as well. Let the mature crown die down naturally.

If your other plants never had a main crown on them or it was damaged, again leave the strongest sucker and root the other ones.

You really won't kill them by removing suckers. As with violets, you can let them grow if you like. The main thing is to care for them when they are in bloom in the correct fashion-just like violets which you know how to do- and then let the foliage ripen and die off. Store the tuber in a coolish spot and then re-start in the spring.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so mch Linda, this is what I did. I removed the two suckers potted them in the front solo cups, and as for the top which broke off, I potted the three leaves along with the center in different cups, hopefully they will be ok . So now I wait, the link you sent me was very helpful, apparently except for the tuber and the dormant period they are just like african violets :). Thanks again. Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

You know...OP, we don't bite over in the OTHER Gesneriad forum either...I don't know why you wouldn't feel welcome over there.

Look, there's a link....just click on it. Come over to the Dark Side...it's easy...just do it.

Oh...ok, you did it...see, nothing bad happened to you. No crazed AV haters appeared on your doorstop demanding entry to seize all your plants....not even your MIL appeared.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneriad Forum

This post was edited by dbarron on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 7:51

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Dbarron,

We here on the AV forum have been warned about you all at the Gesneriad forum. We have been told to avoid you lest you suck us in and make us love all Gesneriads thereby increasing our collections even further, filling our last available spaces with Sinningias, Columneas, Streps, Episcias.....

Linda

P.S. Yes, Velleta, everything is the same except for the tuber and dormancy period. And don't be tempted by the Gesneriad people. They will suck you in... ;)

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh dear, I am really sorry I offended you dbarron my intentions were not as such, I asked here because Linda was the person who helped me with my violets.when I got my first gloxinia I ask about it over there and Linda said I could have asked here because I visit here very often. And I do visit over there I read all the post and continue to learn from you guys. My sincere apology to everyone on the other forum who has been offended by my actions.ð velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I'm not offended...just need more traffic over there ;) Plus you'll get more people that grow other gesneriads (like Sinningia's) over there.

Linda, yes, we're *ALL* enablers...just like you folks...

Everyone wing in over and tell us (if you have an opinion), why noone grows Streptocarpus. We can't see why it's not more popular? (we're discussing)

This post was edited by dbarron on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 14:27

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

DB is teasing you. It's all good.

No one grows Streps? Really? There are some beauties out there.

Linda

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, we're discussing that...they do seem quite rare and never for sale in nurseries or flowershops (in discussion)...come over (yes, trolling for more traffic..but really would like other people's slants).

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am happy then.i do grow other plants though, I am very good with Episcias. And where I live I have never seen a strep. I love all gesneriads I am really attracted to their foliage and blooms, if only I knew where to source a few���".but here when we have flower shows you never see one and I don't know of anyone who grows them to sell, such a pity. Until I can figure out how to op tain a few I am left to drool over all the pretty ones you guys grow and post.velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I'm guessing that post transfer is expensive and time-consuming (so they might not arrive alive?). Here I get them within 3 days (or less) from ship date, and they arrive looking lovely...but you're on a small island, I think ?
    And perhaps there is the same hysteria of phytosanitary certificates, etc ?

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exactly, so I am left to just yearn for them.i live in Jamaica which is a small tropical island in the west indies .We have lovely weather right through the year but it get extremely hot at times. Sadly we are very limited when it comes to plant nurseries that carries plant like those or even certain types of orchids.i have been trying to get a few lady slipper orchids from last year and still no luck.���". So my gesneriad collection is just African violets which I go crazy for and some Episcias. Sadly. Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

Do you know what is involved in shipping plant material to Jamaica?

Linda

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Linda, I researched yesterday...and best I could tell on the web, you'd have to ship air probably due to time, but I couldn't see that a phyto cert was required. They regulate cash crops, but apparently not random plants. Though this is not gospel, just what I gleaned from their postal service.
    Just that most vendors specifically don't ship internationally, because of the different policies and red tape.

Ok, i went to find it again..maybe I was asleep yesterday...I found this to contradict myself:

All fruit, vegetables, plants, plant products and soil will also require a special Phyto Sanitary Certificate from the Ministry of Agriculture.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

I wonder how involved getting a Phyto is. When I brought orchids back from Japan, I had to get one but someone else, (who knew what he was doing), did the work for me.

It would be nice if we could send Velleta some starts.

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my god!!!, that would be so awesome but I honestly don't know how it works, most of the time when I go on the net to view plants they only ship to other countries not jamaica���".and about the certificate I have no idea how to go about getting one.because I didn't even bother to research it seeing that I just accepted the limitations with the plants that were available here. Such a pity.Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

I've often thought about sending you some starts. Maybe you could find out what is involved for your country. It can't be that complicated. (Well, it's the government so it could!), but I know there is a lot of plant shipping going on between different countries.

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wowww, ok I have a friend who often carries plant back here when he goes of the island. I will see if I can get some information from him. And even if it doesn't work out thank you so much for considering. Plant people are truly generous.it means the world to me. Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wowww, ok I have a friend who often carries plant back here when he goes of the island. I will see if I can get some information from him. And even if it doesn't work out thank you so much for considering. Plant people are truly generous.it means the world to me. Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Linda, so I spoke to my friend and first he didn't know what a strep. Was, LOL. Ok so he said our country do not allow any plant in soil here.he said if it was a case where I was going over their or someone coming here then the leaves could be carried. He normally brings in orchids that way bare rooted. Now I know why we don't have vendors who do those kind of plants. Sad:( .so I guess I will have to enjoy only looking on the plants posted here. Thanks so much for offering though. Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I have a further possible idea...bareroot a young plant and wrap it's roots in wet spagnum, wrap in newspapers with plastic wrap perhaps on outside.

Does that qualify as soil free? I think some Canadian nurseries do that to import to US?

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I think that might work because spagnum would be inorganic and I think inorganic would be ok.but how would it get here still don't know about that part if you could just put it through the mail or what?? ðÂÂÂ.velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

What about leaves? No soil there. I've also received bare-root violets that did just fine.

In my experience, violets leaves can endure about two weeks max in the mail.

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Linda, I will try and find out from my post office on Monday how to go about doing that and about how long it would take to reach here.you live exactly where? I would need that information if you don't mind.and again I really appreciate your effort.velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Linda

• paul_
    9 years ago

"Well I think that might work because spagnum would be inorganic ..."

LOL On the contrary, sphagnum is quite organic -- it is a plant after all.

Since gloxes are tuberous, perhaps you might be able to have bare tubers shipped to you?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Paul, the thread has changed to Streps...no tubers on those.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Oops! Didn't see the topic switch.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone, so Linda I spoke to the lady at the post office and she said it can't be done and even if it could it would take three or more weeks���" .So I suppose nothing can be done, I also spoke to the vendor I got the A.Vs from and she said steps don't do well here because of our climate.right now it's in the 90s even though it rains almost every day.she told me she lost about 60% of her collection which is so sadð¢ because she's the only person I know who actually grows them to sell.thanks again for trying, Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so hi guys. After my gloxinia died it started growing this one other plant and it continued and is still growing, shouldn't it be shorter or something?it was the first plant I got as a present. I lost some of the leaves I put down but thee suckers I got are really doing great, I will post a pic of them next . I just don't knor if its normal for it to grow so tall and slim. I had to tie it for fear of it breaking. Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pics of the suckers I got from two different plants I bought at a flower show in may.Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Velleta,

Your suckers look good, maybe a but more light would be good so they will be more compact. We may have discussed this before but sometime the mother plant will die because it was raised in perfect or different conditions from the ones you have. But the babies do just fine because they are acclimated to your conditions. It looks like that's what's happened with your Glox.

I would post a picture of your 'tall stranger' plant on the Gesneriad forum. I have never seen anything like it!

I'm sorry about not being able to ship you plants. If anything ever changes, let me know.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you, I was in Europe. Vacation!!!

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda, I will post the tall one on the other forum and try to increase the light with the suckers.about the shipping plants it's ok, I suppose rules are rulesâº. I did get a friend to order me some seeds of streps, so hopefully in another two to three weeks I will get them.fingers cross they will germinate but I will let you know what happens.i do hope you had a wonderful and enjoying vacation and it good to have you backðÂÂÂ. Velleta

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Yes, we're talking serious etiolation here....gloxinias should be almost rosettes.
    You need to get those in more sun...slowly...or you'll crisp them.

• philpet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks.Dbarron I will try for some more sun. Velleta

• HU-462775092
    last year

Hello. I have a gloxinia that was gifted to me a few years ago. In the late fall when it was going dormant, I removed all of the greenery on top and stored it in my basement, a cool and dark space. Each spring I bring it out and water it slowly and lots of green foliage appears but it hasn't flowered since the first time. What am I doing wrong and would fertilizer help it to flower? Thank you for any advice!