Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotting Leaves

Posted by suz7 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 19:48

I'm new to violets and the forum, so this is my first post. My first violets should be here in a few days. In the mean time, I've started leaves from 6 violet - 5 trailers and one mini. I had a trailer many years ago and loved it.
I started the leaves 1 week ago in half sphagnum and half perlite in 3 oz. solo cups - 2 to each. I have the 6 cups covered in a plastic shoebox. I've wiped condensation from the lid each day in case I over watered. I didn't think I did. Today I noticed 2 of the leaves in different pots had brown patches on them - Rot? I cut those parts of the leaves off.
Should I separate the cups and put them in plastic bags? Is there anything I can put on them in case the rot has spread?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotting Leaves

Suz,
Cut the rot off and dust with cinnamon. Crack the lid of the shoebox so your leaves get a bit of air circulation. I dome mine and take the dome off for a bit of time usually every day. The dome also has a whole at the top that I can close or open according to how much condensation there is. Bottom heat, as in a heat mat, works wonders for me.

Linda

o

Hear, hear - Linda is correct.

Your soil should be barely moist, so dry it up a bit - and you do not need 100% humidity. If you think you overwatered - put yor pots on a stack of newspaper - it will suck the extra water out.

o

• Posted by suz7 none (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 18:19

Linda and Irene,
I used the cinnamon - who knew - sat them on newspaper and left the cover off. It's so nice to have people who know so much to ask questions of.
Thanks - Suz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here