Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Probably a simple light question?

aveo5
13 years ago

Ok. I have turned 2 of my AeroGrow gardens into 'growlight' gardens for a bunch of mini/semi mini,and a few standard violets. Now, each light bulb is rated at 26watts,they are the compact florescent full spectrum bulbs, and there are 2 in each garden. I dont know what the translates into 'real light'. BUT they are from 6-9 inches away from the tops of the plants,depending on the plant size. I am getting a lot more flowers, but the growth is now super tight at the crown. Does that mean it is to much light? Or not enough light? And the leaves are getting very hard and easy to crack. They get light for 16.5 hours a day,is that to much or not enough? I cant raise the lights any further, they are up as far as they go, I can lower them if needed.

Does anyone know if I am giving them to much light, to little, To long of this much light, or not enough? AeroGrow WONT talk to me period! So thats out. I figure that since I am getting flowers,it must be good. Not a TON of flowers, but a lot more than I was getting on windowsills.

But with the crowns being so tight, the flowers cant get through,and I am trying to pry the leaves open, to get the flowers through them so the flowers show. Can anyone give me some feedback on what I am doing. If I am doing good, or killing them slowly, or what?

Half of me says it must be good if they are flowering, but the other half says, the growth is so tight, it might be to much light. But if I take out a bulb,then half is in total darkness,and half in full light. IF it is to much light, how do I block some of it? Can I put screen hanging from the lighthood, that blocks 80% of the light, it is a shade type screening i use, and I have a lot of it. Is that a good idea?

Well..thats what is going on. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

Just a guess but if you did have to much lighting on them for to long wouldn't the leaves show some signs of burning via discoloring or other signs of stress ?

Under the "normal/natural" rules what a plant need to flower are
    right lighting (for AV's case it would include time and itensity)
    right watering
    right air tempature ( with right watering makes for ideal humidity conditions for flowering as well)
    right fertilizing amounts (and type)
    Leaves healthy or not can always be removed. In your case to it could help expose the hard to see or breaking out flowerings (thats just my thinking thou maybe you'll get a second opinion befor doing that)

With all of the factors to concider, I think if your AVS where slot machines in Vegas you hit the mother load jackpot of jackpots.

Should you make changes to what you already are doing and what sounds to me as your doing right...... well, If it isn't broke don't fix it.

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

Most growers keep lights on from 10-12 hours a day. At certain periods before a show, they increase the light time to 16 hours--but this is by one hour per day per week until the 16 hours is attained.

If your crowns are getting tighter, I would say reduce your light time to 12 hours as soon as possible.

Minis and semis are usually set from 6-8 inches from the tops of the plants to the bulbs. Standards are about 10-12 inches from tops of plants to bulb.

Nancy

• aveo5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I cant adjust my light to different heights, to give it different heights for different plants under the same lights. and I dont have enough of one type to put under one light,like all minis, or all standards etc. I sometimes turn off the light a few hours early ,to see if that might make the crowns grow looser. Maybe i need to do it every night for a few weeks and give them less time under the lights. Some of the leaves are turning colors,but they have different color leaves to begin with. None are burning. But some have turned reddish/brown,instead of being green. But now they flower. So, I get some flowers, and it gives me room to grow more violets. Just wish i knew what 26 watts of 'CFL lights' was in 'real light'. Cant find a conversion chart of anytype anywhere.

• quimoi
    13 years ago

It sounds like they are getting too much light to me, assuming it's not anything else. I'm having enough trouble adjusting my T8s :).

What (I assume) most people do with various sized plants and fixed lights is to raise the short ones up to the light. You can use empty pots, trays, jars, almost anything that works for you. This also fits more plants onto a large windowsill.

Diana in PA