Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blfresh

Trader Joe's Find

blfresh
9 years ago

I stopped by Trader Joe's on a whim and found 2 beautiful plants. My question is would this be considered a chimera?The flower is darker than my HTC shows. It has a nice white edge. Comes from Canada. The second plant looks somewhat like O. Harlequin. I'll post it's pic in another post.

Comments (12)

• Karin
    9 years ago

It's possible. I bought a striped one that turned around just giving me fantasy the next bloom cycle though. So you can't tell for sure. If it blooms 'true' next time around, you can try rooting leaves and see what comes up - a true chimera should give you mainly non-chimera offspring (that's why they are so special).
    Canada is a big place ;-) I recently heard woodhill greenhouses is exporting, they appear to produce optimaras, harster, on the other hand, supposedly only do anthoflores, but they aren't actually telling you which varieties they are...

I like both your new violets! Now I am just a bit peeved that I went shopping this morning and walmart of all places had no AV's in stock. Sad when I don't even get to choose not to buy anything ;-)
    I saw optimara romance at a garden center the other day, 8" plant in a 6" pot for $10. I wanted it, but refuse to pay extra for over potted plants. So no luck there. I got o. modesty from Walmart, that's why I keep checking their plants section...

Karin

• blfresh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These violets were $1.99 each and they were fresh! A nice stroke of luck.

• Rosie1949
    9 years ago

I don't know why Walmarts doesn't carry violets normally. I mean aren't violets a "way of life"????? lol Anyway our Walmart rarely has violets. And their normal "other" plants (that I also love!) look like they have been beaten up before they are even put out!!!!! Lowe's and Meijer (supermarket) always carry violets (along with other plants). Lowe's is $3.29 and Meijer is $2.99 for violets. (oops, forgot to say I am in S East Michigan, Monroe) I think both only carry Optimaras. So our options are fairly limited. BUT you do what you gotta do. We don't have a Trader Joe's around here and Home Depot is far away and they got rid of all of their indoor type plants. Sooooo, pickin's can get pretty slim!!! Thank goodness for people who are willing to trade leaves or babies!~~Rosie

• blfresh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosie our Walmart carries violets but they are pretty beat up when they put them out. The other plants aren't well taken care of either so I never get any from there. Our local Hy-Vee grocery store gets large shipments of them in seasonally and you can pick up great looking plants. I love my named varieties so I only pick up ones that stand out. Gotta watch that shelf space! lol.

• Karin
    9 years ago

I hear you. Shelf space, what was that again?

It seems all stores in my area quit carrying violets - I wonder if it is time of year (maybe they think August is too hot for shipping). Walmart's are beat up, but they carry the more unique ones that you can actually recognize, as opposed to the standard single, solid, red, white, pink or purple I (used to) find at the grocery store...

Karin

• lucky123
    9 years ago

The local grocery store has AV's every few months.
    I saw one yesterday that was white with a blue edge. It was a very distinct bright blue band that looked like it had been drawn on with a pencil just on the tip of white blossoms.
    I can't find an ID for the plant. Anyone know what it might be?

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Anthoflores (Harster) shows a blue-edged one on their webpage. They won't give names. I don't know if my red-edged one is theirs or O. Harlequin. They were sad looking, but they had a blue-edged one when I bought the red one (around Feb. I think).

I was sure they were Anthoflores, but then went back to the grocery store and found Optimaras another time.

Diana

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Diana
    I didn't like the greenish cast to this one so I didn't buy it.
    Could it be a space violet, Ever Precious?
    What the heck, I will go see if they have one, buy it and post the picture.
    The blue edge is really distinct

• Karin
    9 years ago

Lol Lucky, grasping at excuses for buying violets now? ;-p

Karin

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Karin
    My thought just now is that this is the last one. I have one promised in the mail next week.
    That is absolutely the last one.
    I have to start my viola/pansies for the living room and lobelia for the bathroom this winter. I am thinking about petunias. I think I have place for them in the house. And start grooming the geraniums to come inside.
    Winter is my summer :)
    Mid August and September are my Spring.

• Karin
    9 years ago

i keep telling myself not to buy any more noids, yet when the store doesn't have any to *not* buy, i am disappointed.
    go figure.

• blfresh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep! LOL.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner