Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyj_gw

Anyone have experience with Micro-Minnies?

judyj
9 years ago

Hi there,
There are a few micro minnies out there for sale. Nearly bought one from Rob's a few months ago but pulled back before I placed my order. Didn't feel I had the experience yet.

Has anyone had any experience with them, and what varieties seem to work well? I'd like to try them, but am having trouble with a very small mini (Twinkle blue) already. They're awfully cute though and it seems they would do well for folk who have limited space, possibly in a terrarium, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Best,
Judy

Comments (11)

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I hope somebody will answer.

Until then, if you haven't already done this.

Go right above where it says "African Violets" on this page, and choose "Search" from "Other Forums," "Instructions" "Search"...

When you get the box, just put micro in the search box and search this forum. It turns up several older threads.

I know that was in excruciating detail, but sometimes I need to remind myself where the search is on this forum so maybe it will help somebody else too.

(The last time I put things in thumb pots, I swore I would never do that again and I thought I'd thrown them out. Then I found them again. Maybe...lol. Some people never learn. Yes, your thumb pretty well fills it.)

Diana

• Karin
    9 years ago

I don't know if any of mine qualify as micro mini, though I am growing a few that I think may. Petite blarney and Von's small gift are two of my smaller ones, and frosted fantasy is probably the smallest I have.
    What I am noticing is that they seem to like higher humidity, or maybe even depend on it. I've got them either on wicks or in a fish bowl, though I am looking at getting a fish tank / terrarium for them :-)
    Currently they are in 1oz cups, mainly because I tend to overwater anything that is in a bigger pot.

Karin

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Judy,

I have several micros. I grow them with the rest of my violets, under lights, elevated on up-turned pots. You must be careful with watering as their small pots and tiny root systems need watering more often than the others. Other than that, I care for them the same as the others.

Linda

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well after a long time, my Twinkle Blue has finally got a single bud. Had to take three suckers off the tiny little plant, but I must say the plant itself is adorable.

Not quite sure what makes a "Micro-minnie" but Rob's got plants he lists as micro-minnies on the VB website.

This one's still in a little two inch pot-it hasn't put enough growth out to pot up at all.

Linda, do yours stay like that? If that is the case, I may get some more from Rob's.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Judy,

Maybe you found this already, but I was looking for threads here trying to figure out what to do with my 13 little Optimaras (never meant to keep them all) and I found this link to Rob's article on growing miniatures:

www.violetbarn.com/library/miniature_violets.htm

Sometimes I have trouble finding things on his site even when I know they're there.

I did find the ones he lists as micros and I've never grown any of them. I have Twinkle Pink but I guess it's not as small as Twinkle Blue. I'd always assumed they were a set. Ebay has a much healthier looking Teeny Bopper than mine is. Mine's not sick, just puny.

Ah, this big one that is the same color as the one that is probably (maybe?) Little Coral is marked "No Idea." It is blooming like mad. Maybe I need to try to get photos again.

Don't be misled by Little Crystal's name. I'm thinking it may need a 3" pot.

I seem to have grown Petite Blarney before it was registered. I don't remember it, but I don't think it's a micro mini. I have leaves again. There are some that you can kind of "stunt" with the little thumb pots or let them get bigger. A few are true micros, I guess. There are some that people do keep in a terrarium or "domed." This isn't exactly my thing but a thumb pot is a very cute pot. I was going to try it with what may be O. Little Diamond but then that didn't work out. I have a Smitten Kitten that could go in one.

A long time ago, I had a little plastic "greenhouse" and that would probably be a cute thing for them. I don't know if there's anything like it any more or not. It came from Park's

Diana

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Diana,
    It's unlikely I would have ever found that link except maybe by accident! Thanks! :-)

Rob's methodology makes sense. A few weeks ago I was reading about Bonsai Ficus and the method for growing tiny leaves on these is similar-strip all the leaves off. They'll grow back smaller.

He's only listing a few micro varieties on his webpage now, and I can't find anyone else selling anything listed as micros. I may try Bunny Hop, but I bet it's not as tiny as the Twinkle Blue.

When I placed the order for Twinkle Blue I nearly (but didn't) bought the Teeny Bopper, but was afraid I'd kill it. Right now he doesn't list it. And on his Micro page, he no longer puts on the note that these are only for advanced growers due to their size.

Well, I found a couple of other plants I want to order from him so maybe I'll go ahead and order a couple of what he calls his Micro-minnies!

SK Misty Landscape is a new one he's carrying and I like the shape and color of the little bells!

Best,
    Judy

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I've grown micro sinningias and mini-violets...they're cute, they're a bit different due to being so very small (watering and all), the pots are so easily knocked over, etc.
    It seemed (maybe just seemed that way), that mini violets and micro sinningias, bloomed more of the time than the big ones..maybe because I had absolutely no problem finding space in good light for them (lol).
    All in all, I liked them, but they're not good for the person that doesn't check them daily to see if they need water..and for heaven's sake..don't overwater or overpot.

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh Diana, I was incorrect. Teeny Bopper is on Rob's website, but it's a trailer-I'd forgotten that. He also still has the disclaimer with that one.

Think I'll still hold off. I've got an order of several Micro-minnies I'm going to try.
    Best,
    Judy

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Judy,

I wondered because he had that warning on Teeny Bopper but I'd forgotten it was with the trailers. Occasionally I've found things where I didn't expect them there... I bought it, not that I think I'm advanced but after 35 or 40 years of growing, I don't think I'm likely to improve too much. I put it on a reservoir.

Actually I put them both on reservoirs since he had two in there and I had to perform microsurgery. He's done that with 3 trailers so far. I guess it's okay if you don't mind having the double plant but I like to start with one. Sometimes I put 3 plants in a pot but they are separate.

I did get SK Misty Landscape and it's very new. Maybe I'll change my mind but it was a little too much the same color as Chilly Willy and that one is variegated. Maybe it will come along and look more different (differenter?) No. The bells were very small on it but I suppose if it got a lot of them it would make a difference.

There is some good info on his site but I don't think he's had time to totally organize it. However he does it, he is very good at growing nice tiny plants.

Diana

• marty-1
    9 years ago

I have grown twinkle blue for about 3 years. I have had several die but keep the strain through leaf rootings. I have had some beautiful plants with nice full blooms, but culture conditions , watering, has to be very good for success. The plant will rot easily.However, the plant is easy to propagate and maintain from leaves. Other small minis I have which do very well and are very attractive are: Lil Ballerina, robs ice ripples , and tinkerbell

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marty-I'm going to look at those hybrids you've mentioned. Though I've got a few in my cart at Rob's (VB), I'm still looking around for others that aren't VBs!

Best,
    Judy

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21