Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
algae and chlorox

Posted by krystyna1937 7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 20:54

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Greetings,
On another thread there was a discussion about algea on pots. This may not apply to all situations but when I noticed scum forming on the water in the tray on which my av pots stood, I added 1/4 tsp chlorox to a 2-qt watering can and poured it into the trays. I didn't use up the whole can and there was already some water in the tray so it got diluted some more. After a few hours the scum disappeared. I am hoping that the fumes were not strong enough to affect the plants. I'm posting a picture of the tray and its pots.
Any comments?
Krys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: algae and chlorox

Hi Krys,
When I use Clorox I generally dilute it 9 to 1 and never feed my plants with it. If the algae bothers you, go to a pet store and buy a bottle of algaicide. They use it in fish tanks, and if it doesn't hurt the fish and plants there it won't hurt ur plants. Get them out of that strong clorox mix.
Fred in NJ

o

Fred,
I'll try the algaicide. But I must stress that the plants cannot absorb any of the water in the tray. It's only meant to provide humidity and I'm not really sure that it's necessary. Bonsaists, for example, all insist that such trays have very little effect if any and can be a bother to keep clean -- as I'm discovering in this case. I don't use this method with any of my trees and only did it here because I kept reading about its standard practice -- not on this forum but in general info on the Internet.
Krys

o

Fred, that is a great idea. I was using the clorox but the fumes were so strong. I was thinking that maybe the algae has ammonia because the fumes were not the normal fumes from bleach. I will get the algaicide today. Sally

o

Hi Krys,
Just a note to let u know that I only use Clorox at a 9-1 ratio to clean and disinfect my dirty pots. Some people however use it on new leaves before they put them down. I really don't like the idea of algae but I don't worry too much about it. Algae acumulates in my reservoirs and when it gets too green I pull out the plastic bag liner and put in a new one.
Fred in NJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here