Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Wow! Lots of Plants

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

I have been working a little while every day on the contents of my plant standS in preparation for a plant display/sale the last weekend in September.

I currently have over 220 plants that should be in blooming stage or on the verge of blooming at that time. I should also have about 75 starter plants that would be well enough established too.

I have decided though, that when I sell these plants, I am not committed to continuing to grow for sale. I want to get back to the 'fun' of the plants and enjoying them in their beauty and grandeur....not growing in masses.

I want to get back to playing in the dirt wtih my friends instead of feeling pressured and obligated (becasue of sale schedules) to get in there and save every single leaf that is of good quality.

Anyone walked in these shoes before?

Dora

Comments (5)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Hi, Dora,

I haven't walked specifically in that pair of pumps, but close. I too put down every 'good' leaf until recently, and that's how I ended up with 36 seed flat trays of stuff in various stages of propagation. People tell me I should sell them, go into business, etc. But, then it would be a J-O-B, not a fun and rewarding hobby. If I'd wanted a job, I would have kept the one I had with good pay and outstanding benefits.

I 'teach' a group of elderly ladies from a local assisted living center, and they really enjoy whatever comes their way, so they are really going to get a ton of stuff at the next gathering in October. I'll donate a bunch to the 3 clubs I belong to, and get this down to a manageable size.

I might still want to put down a good leaf, but I might want to part with all but one or two of the plantlets it produces. Adopt them out ASAP!! lol

Barbara (and I haven't forgotten your Okie Easter Bunny. Are you going to make it to MAAVS in Williamsburg in Nov.?)

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Not in terms of plants, but in terms of my art. I am a photographer and stained glass artist. For years, I did these for myself or for shows, but not as commissions. A few years ago I started making windows for a home builder of high end McMansions. Initially it seemed sort of fun. After awhile, it was at best tedious. At the end, I stopped going to the studio to do things I loved. I stopped doing it last fall and I have yet to get back to doing it for love. I am hoping that this winter I will be ready to do that.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbara,
    I haven't forgotten about that plant either :P
    No, I won't be at the one you mention but I am considering coming to the one in Raleigh, NC.

I will also be at the DAVS in Athens, GA next spring.

Do you have any plans to be at either of those?

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Dora,

I will definitely be at the national convention in Raleigh next year. It's the first one on this side of the really big river since I got addicted, so I certainly need to take advantage of that. The following year in Philly is on my dance card too.

Barbara

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    I know exactly how you feel. At our last show this past May most of the plantlets were grown by our members. In my case it was at the expense of my show plants. It was a necessary problem which we solved to get enough money into our treasury. We did buy some plants from the violet gallery and others from a greenhouse in PA that sold named Optimaras. But with all the time and space going to growing for the sale table our show was not up to the ususal standard. So we decided over the summer to grow for show and we will purchase more sale plants.
    Good luck with your plant sale.
    Fred in NJ

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County