Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An ID Please!

Posted by chickadeedeedee z 6-7 ish Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 08 at 21:39

Who are these guys, please?

My DH found two at a garden center recently and got both. One will be gifted to a very good friend. An ID ~ ish would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ChickaDDD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An ID Please!

Hi Chickadee,

I would say that the chances of you finding the names of these African violets are near impossible if not outright impossible. Even if the things flowered and we had that information at our disposal it would be downright impossible to figure out what it is called. I can't remember how many thousands of different violets there are now. Is it over 20,000 now? That means there also thousands of variegated violets.

If you want the violets to have a name then choose one. Alice, Alicia, Michelle, Jane, Janet, whatever you want. Technically they are considered noids meaning they have no identification.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but regardless of whether they have a name they are probably very beautiful violets (the variegation is lovely) and that's what really counts. It's not the name but the pleasure that the violets give a person.

Larry

o

They're African Violets :-)

Sorry, you're really not gonna find a name.. But it doesn't make them any less nice!

o

Thanks soooo much for the quickie replies! I never saw a pink variegated form. If they bloom or not; if we have a name or not ... doesn't matter much to me. They are pretty.

Thanks again! :-)

3D Chick

o

Just to see exactly what we were up against, on a whim I just turned on my FC2 software, and did a search for Foliage type: "variegated pink", and it came back with 1,053 entries. So... maybe it's one of those :-D

o
Thanks for the help!

Thanks m3rma 1 d ! That's narrowed down the search. LOL!

Don't think I'll lose too much sleep over a real ID but then again ... It is about 11:30 PM.

Thanks for the link and taking the time to reply to my planty question.

C3D

o

CD3,

It seems as though we have developed a protocol for 'naming' plants that have no ID. In honor of one of our very knowledgeable members, Fred, we call them 'Fred'. You can have Fred1 and Fred2, FredA and FredB, Fredleft and Fredright, whatever you choose.

Enjoy, they are both pretty.

Barbara

o

PS: Please be sure to post pics when they bloom, we love pics of bloomies :-)

o

OK. Fred they be! :-)

We already have a tradition of naming many of our trees ... Diana, Alberto, Amadeus, Benny ... We didn't have a Fred until now. Thanks!

If / when Fred is ready, I'll take a picture of his bloomers.

o

Hi C3D
You will have to be a frequent poster here..... as I love your sense of humor, gave me a good chuckle for the day.
Janice

o
Thanks

Thanks Janice. You are very kind. I normally inflict my tales of abnormality in the GW Ponds/Conversations forum. If you have insomnia take a look. They're all very nice there. :-)

3D Chick

Here is a link that might be useful: Ponds / Conversations

o

You guys are too much...lol.
M3, only 1,053 remaining..how funny...

o

Hi again.

Well gosh darn! Fred showed me what his bloomers look like!

I kept the less variegated fellow and gifted the other to a dear friend. Sorry the pic. isn't the best but Fred has a very pretty simple pink flower and at least 3 other buds waiting to open. :-)

o

Looking good! I like it, very pretty.

cyberdancer

o

Now that Fred has adjusted to his new habitat, you may think about removing the sucker. This is a sideshoot if you will that is to the bottom of the flower as seen in the picture. You can do a search for more postings about suckers (many). Let us know if you need more info on suckers after you have read the other threads.

Barbara

o

I saw he's actually three plants. I was thinkin' after some more of his flowers open up and fade I'll take the suckers off and see what happens. A *very* nice Fred indeed! :-)

Thanks for your help.

Me -n- Fred

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here