Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eeeoeleven

NOID finally blooming!

eeeoeleven
14 years ago

I bought a few noids from a local greenhouse, and here is one that has finally bloomed for me! It has dark green, serrated oval leaves with pink backing. The bloom is a single dark pink with darker pink fantasy streaks. I realize there are thousands of AV varieties, but I know it has a name, as it was from a quality greenhouse with others that had name tags. Any ideas would be appreciated!

[IMG]http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx119/eeeoeleven/DSC00294.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (9)

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops... Here's the picture:

{{gwi:372654}}

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I found it:

Tropical Sherbet (S. Sorano) Single-semidouble pink-coral frilled star/variable darker fantasy. Dark green. Standard

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA Tropical Sherbet

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Congratulations!

This is just me, and others may not agree, but consider calling it Tropical Sherbet, but if you offer leaves to anyone, let them know it's a NOID. There are sooooooo many varieties (tens of thousands) that many of them look similar. While it very well could be this, it could be something else, too. Ultimately, if we don't get a tag with something, we really cannot ever know what it is, I do not think. That said, if the greenhouse could tell you who they purchased from, you might be able to figure it out. If they buy from several growers, it gets more difficult as each might have one that is similar to what you have. As plants sport and are not always true, that makes it even more complicated.

As I said, just my opinion.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

EEE -

I agree with Lathyrus in all suggestions - it can be something else. More of it - I am pretty sure it is not it - the fantasy on TS is quite pronounced and the shape of the flower is different.

On your pic the flower is not fully open, I think it will be even more attractive later. I would say - I can see the neck on your plant. If you repot it in a light soil mix and bury the neck - the plant will feel better and reward you with tons of these gorgeous colored blooms.

Name wise - I would call it "My Sherbet" or "E-Sherbet" - instead - understanding that it is a beloved NOID for you. To be sure that it is it - you need to order the plant from Lyndon Lyon, grow both of them in the same conditions for some time, put them side by side, compare leaves first, then blooms - and may be get an idea afterward. One line description at the registration is way not enough to definitely identify the plant.

Good Luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyndon Lyon pic

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just got the NOID not too long ago and saw the buds, so I didn't repot it right away because I didn't want the buds to go into shock because I wanted to take a crack at ID-ing it, but I plan on repotting it after this cycle. I'm going to ask the greenhouse where they order from, hopefully that leads me somewhere. I don't plan on selling leaves or anything, so it wouldn't be a big deal to assume its variety. I'll analyze the plants more, but the leaves are identical on many pictures I've seen of this variety. The bloom in my picture is only a few hours old (I was impatient lol), so when it grows a little more I'll reevaluate the variety as well. Thanks guys!

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another bloom

{{gwi:372655}}

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I was just looking at pictures of an AV that I am evaluating before I put it on my really-wish-I-had-this list. I'll place the URL below.

It just shows how much variance can be in one variety! While some of the images in the link look very similar, there are a couple with the strong sparkle edge or the mostly pink, or the mostly white that I wouldn't think was the same plant!

As long as you're not ever giving anyone, you can call it anything you want! It's only if you ever participate in an exchange or something that someone would appreciate knowing that its origins aren't completely known.

It's lovely, whatever it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out how different these are

• eeeoeleven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I DO have Heaven's A-Calling!!! I'll post pics when it blooms, too!

• phoebesviolets
    14 years ago

I have Heaven's A Calling also, and it has looked like a couple of those photos on different blooming cycles. Once a noid, always a noid? Embrace your noid! Noids are how many of us became addicted to AV's. They serve a very important function and are just as valuable, and just as beautiful, as the named varieties.