Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about pot size

Posted by violetta1976 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 22:37

I would really like to grow a couple of my AVs into larger specimens (10+ inches is my definition of large for an AV). They've been large in the past, so I know it can be done. To look at them right now, one would think they were in pots that are too large. However, that's because I recently re potted them to cover bare trunks after years of neglect. They've been in 4 inch pots for years and their roots fill the pots well, even though the foliage right now makes it look differently.

I'm not asking this question well. It's Friday and my brain is fried.

I think what I'm wondering, in a nutshell, is how to grow my AVs larger? It seems everything I read recommends potting down a size, but if one keeps doing that won't one be keeping the AV at the same size forever?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about pot size

To get the proper size pot, measure across the violet with a tape measure and divide by 3. A nine inch plant would need a 3 inch pot. A 12 inch plant would need a 4 inch pot, etc.

Once your rootball has fresh soil and there is no neck to deal with, just allow the plant to grow. Then measure it to check for the next pot size.

Nancy

o

Hi,
Let me add to what nancy has said. AV's always look better in squat pots (azelea pots) rather than in normal height pots.
Fred in NJ

o

I wish the folks that make Oyama pots would develop some short, wide ones. The larger ones - for standards - are pretty good but the 2.5 inch ones look a little funny with semi-minis and minis in 'em.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here