Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_ann_gw

Brown Spots on African Violet Leaves

Emily_Ann
10 years ago

My african violets have recently developed brown spots on their leaves. I have three violets, and each seems to be developing these spots to some extent. Some of the spots are turning soft and appear to be rotting. Otherwise the plants seem to be very healthy. Any information on what this might be/what to do about it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

Emily,

Check for chloramines in your water supply. I've had these exact same issues this summer, and I'm watering with store-bought water now.

I ended up losing a couple plants which were, previously, doing really well, ... and I've a few more currently on life-support.

I hope that changing my water source does the trick.

Check it out ...

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

Examples ...

This plant used to be thriving ... with over twice as many leaves.

{{gwi:370211}}

Now it looks like this. I hope I can get it turned around.

• Emily_Ann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'll definitely try that! Hopefully it will clear things up. Did you cut off all of the affected leaves?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Emily,

Always remove damaged leaves unless damaged leaves are the only leaves you have. In that case, damaged leaves are better than no leaves.

Linda

• chiquib313
    10 years ago

Is there a product that can be added to the water to remove the chloramines, like the drops used in aquariums to remove the chlorine? Will leaving the water out for several days in open containers remove or reduce the amount of chloramines in the water?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Chiq,
    Chloramine does not dissipate like chlorine so leaving water sit will not help. If you read the thread 'Beware chloramines (in your water)', there is a lot of info there on treating chloramine water.

Linda

• oglad
    10 years ago

Helpful discussion but I don't get why my violet, after being watered in the same way, with the same water source, for many months would suddenly be developing all these brown areas, and when new buds are just forming too. Should I cut down dramatically on how much water I give it? Emily, did your switching to bottled water make a difference and save yours?

{{gwi:372791}}

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Check your local water supply for a start. From what I understand, many communities are switching to chloramine use.

Linda

• Marianne
    7 years ago

Well, this answer is disappointing. I have a AV with these brown areas also and I have been watering exclusively with bottled spring water for over a year now. Looks like it is something else then.

• aegis1000
    7 years ago

The good news is that browning indicates an ENVIRONMENTAL issue ... which should be able to be corrected. Something to do with LIGHT, WATER, FERTILIZER, SOIL, or TEMPERATURE.

Perhaps your violets need repotting with fresh potting mix.

Make sure that they are not being exposed to extremes of temperature.

Make sure that they are not getting TOO MUCH LIGHT.

• Marianne
    7 years ago

Thanks for responding, aegis. If I had to guess what the problem is, I'd say I watered too soon. This AV is pickier than usual and quickly complains if things don't go as they should. Or maybe it's the cool nights we've had recently. Winter so far in central Florida has been ridiculously mild compared to other years. Just recently we've had some temperature dips at night and it does get chilly near those sliding glass doors.