Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Spots on African Violet Leaves

Posted by Emily_Ann New Jersey (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 23:10

My african violets have recently developed brown spots on their leaves. I have three violets, and each seems to be developing these spots to some extent. Some of the spots are turning soft and appear to be rotting. Otherwise the plants seem to be very healthy. Any information on what this might be/what to do about it would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Spots on African Violet Leaves

Emily,

Check for chloramines in your water supply. I've had these exact same issues this summer, and I'm watering with store-bought water now.

I ended up losing a couple plants which were, previously, doing really well, ... and I've a few more currently on life-support.

I hope that changing my water source does the trick.

Check it out ...

o

Examples ...

This plant used to be thriving ... with over twice as many leaves.

photo Pictures4-18-2013002.jpg

Now it looks like this. I hope I can get it turned around.

o

Thanks, I'll definitely try that! Hopefully it will clear things up. Did you cut off all of the affected leaves?

o

Emily,

Always remove damaged leaves unless damaged leaves are the only leaves you have. In that case, damaged leaves are better than no leaves.

Linda

o

Is there a product that can be added to the water to remove the chloramines, like the drops used in aquariums to remove the chlorine? Will leaving the water out for several days in open containers remove or reduce the amount of chloramines in the water?

o

Chiq,
Chloramine does not dissipate like chlorine so leaving water sit will not help. If you read the thread 'Beware chloramines (in your water)', there is a lot of info there on treating chloramine water.

Linda

o

Here's a pic of the violet with all of the damaged leaves removed. I looked up chloramine's effect on african violets and it looks a lot like what happened to mine, so hopefully that was the culprit. Thanks for the advice!

o

Helpful discussion but I don't get why my violet, after being watered in the same way, with the same water source, for many months would suddenly be developing all these brown areas, and when new buds are just forming too. Should I cut down dramatically on how much water I give it? Emily, did your switching to bottled water make a difference and save yours?

o

Check your local water supply for a start. From what I understand, many communities are switching to chloramine use.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here