Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Canadian Round Robin?

Karin
9 years ago

Not that I have time to organize it really, but I'd like to test the waters on whether there might be any interest... (Apparently I am suffering from round robin envy)

I have yet to read up on the legalities of shipping plant parts across province borders etc,so if anyone knows of issues that would be good to know....

Posting here, because apparently the swap/trade forum is restricted to the US.

Well, let me know ;-)

Karin

Comments (12)

• wendycoo
    9 years ago

I would be interested in a Canadian round robin. I very much doubt that there is a restriction crossing provincial borders. Canada Post doesn't have anything set up for that. I have sent and received plants from across Canada with no issues other than the length of time it takes to get to its destination
    Wendy/SK

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Wendy!

Yes, time is definitely a concern, as well as climate. Not sure, but some of the more northern residents must have a pretty slim shipping window.

I didn't think the shipping across provinces should present a problem, and I cannot find anything that says otherwise....

So, let's see if anyone else is interested :-)

Karin

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

there is a 'canadian garden exchange' forum. i just searched for 'african violets' and there were pretty recent posts - they'll also know more about mailing regs if any.

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Although I could not participate personally ("wife permitting")
    I think it would be a great idea!
    Here's hoping you get enough interest to make it viable for yourself and others.
    It's sometimes hard to get your hands on varieties not locally grown.

Best of Luck!

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks anon!
    So far there's only Wendy here who said she'd participate. But who knows, maybe by spring we'll have a few names together...

Karin

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

hey Karin ...this is a great idea.... i'm not sure I've got anything anyone wants yet but it's wonderful to get the Canadian members on one page so we can ship to each other eventually .... :)

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

I just had another idea too....

if we had a Canadian AV group ...we could share information on vendors ..

not just who ships avs to Canada and if there were additional problems at the border but also where to buy supplies in Canada (and US) ...

for example neem oil is illegal to sell in Canada for plant use but we can buy it for personal/skin care use etc...

I guess Canadian suppliers would be first choice for lower shipping and border taxes etc...

i'm not sure if we are allowed to link to suppliers but maybe we could do private emailing to let others know of suppliers?

for example ... I really wanted a streptocarpus massens white, which I can't find yet ... but I did find a Black Panther which I think is gorgeous ...very dark purple ...see link.

www.mountainviewtropicals.com/groups/view/38

Silvana ....

This post was edited by toronto.and.brisbane on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 20:26

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

The Forum Moderators have strict rules about advertising, they are written up in the Guidelines which were visible when you first joined and can still be reviewed. In general, linking to outside resources is likely not allowed because one of their guidelines states that posters should not use the Forum to advertise. However, people do share their positive experiences about various vendors. The Moderators can be contacted. The Canadian Forum sounds like a good place to start.
    Don't you guys have two-day or three-day Priority Mail in Canada? That is what we use here. It comes with tracking and special fixed rate boxes, it is relatively cheap. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 22:04

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

hi thanks Joanne... I just read the terms of service and can't really find anything ... but will keep looking.

is the terms of service and guidelines the same thing?

the Canadian forum is great but it's also great that this forum is only about African violets.

priority mail in Canada? yes.... why? ... usually the problem with shipments is getting things across the CAN/US border ...they can be held up for days... i'm not sure about plants because they'd have to have a phyto certificate but other things yes.... and like neem oil for plants .... that might be illegal to import since it's illegal to sell....

Anyway I've no idea .... so i'll be checking out the Canadian forum too.

:) thanks.

ps: are moderators the same as the 'contact us' link?

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, Contact us will get you to the moderators. They might not reply, but if there is ever a problem on the forum that needs to be reported, sending them an email usually takes care of the problem, even if they don't have time to send an email. Yes, by terms of service, I meant the guidelines.
    I thought y'all wanted to do a RR just for Canada.
    Shipping from the U.S. to Canada is probably a different matter.
    Maybe someone has sent to Canada from the U.S. and posted about it on the Forum in the past.
    Anyway, it is possible to enjoy exchanging with just a couple of folks, doesn't have to be lots of people on a RR.
    Someone who used to be a Forum member, Nancy Robateille, resides in Canada. She is a grower (hybridizer) and a vendor Maybe someone has ordered from her and can let you know of their experience. She used to live in the U.S. She probably "knows the ropes." J

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

hi Joanne thanks!!! I did want to do a rr for Canada... we have to really ... I don't know if we could legally do an rr with our US friends...

i'm sorry if I confused you .... I just meandered all over the place ... too much enthusiasm.

I think I've seen some of nancy's avs .... i'll have to see if she also sells from her own store. thanks. :)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Also, try the Canadian African Violet Society for info!
    Enthusiasm is good and contagious! I have been curious myself! I think Bloomlovers is Canadian. She might have advice. Joanne

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone