Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonmcdade

My poor poor Baby

jonmcdade
11 years ago

Hi All,

Yes, I'm being a post hog, but I have so many questions and so much to learn!!! HHmmmm I thought I was an expert because I've kept my two av's alive for a couple years..... Well, now I know better.......

This gorgeous girl is another supermarket find. She is two years old. She is a big bloomer and very colorful. The freckles and dark band around the flowers edge is very striking and showy.

Recently I repotted her (in a much to big pot...urggg!!) When I did, I broke off many of her leaves....double uurrghh!!1

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu184/jonmcdade/african%20violet/africanviolet136-Copy.jpg

I tried to embedd photos in this post but it didnt take.

So my question is two fold. First...Will new leaves grow in this empty spot, or only at the top? 2nd and here is the part where you all go eww!!! There is a white fuzz at the crown base. I think I read somewhere that it is actually an insect. I tried to treat it with a deluted alcohol solution I found on the web somewhere, but it did not work. Anyone know what the white stuff is and how to treat it? Anyone recognize the flower and know its name?

Regards

Jon

Comments (7)

• jonmcdade
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now that I know how to place pictures you can see the front and back of this delicious plant. I sure hope you all know how to save her.
    {{gwi:372913}}
    I think this is mealy bug??

{{gwi:372914}}
    {{gwi:372915}}
    Her blossoms are beautiful...........sigh...... is there hope?

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

jonmcdade ...

African violets only properly grow from the top center (crown) of the plant. As leaves are broken off ... or fade and die, they will leave a neck at the base of your plant ... which is just starting for you. Usually, repotting the plant, after having scraped the neck, so that the soil covers the neck, will solve this issue.

As long you have a healthy crown, the plant can grow.

The white fuzz on the neck does look like mealy bug. If you don't remove all traces of the mealy bugs from your plant (which can be difficult) ... your plant will eventually be overwhelmed and will die. Hopefully you've isolated this plant from your other (2).

I would suggest that you carefully discard this plant (so as not to spread the mealybug) ... and find yourself a new healthy plant. I'd suggest that you NOT buy any more plants at the usual retail outlets (which spread pests to their plants through sloppy handling), but rather buy directly from AV growers. AV growers do a much better job of keeping their plants free from AV pests, which can wipe out your collection.

A few years back I decided that I would rather spend my time enjoying the beauty of my plants, rather than spending my time battling AV pests.

You should be able to find a violet with similar blooms by browsing the literally hundreds of offerings at www.lyndonlyon.com or www.bloomlovers.com.

I've ordered plants (you can get plugs from Bloomlovers) from both vendors and have never received a diseased plant from either of them.

The photograph is of Ozio from Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses ...

{{gwi:372916}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Ozio at Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

I would maybe take a leaf cutting, treat it for mealies and pot it to try to start a new plant.

• nyxx
    11 years ago

I notice that you said that you got the plant two years ago. Have you bought any new plants lately? I'm just wondering where the mealy bugs came from. Did you check you other 2 year old plant to make sure it is clear? Also did you notice them when you were repotting or sometime later? I have never had to deal with this problem (knock on wood) But I see that you can treat it though it does sound like a pain. If you do want to try there is a lot of info out there. I am including a link I found informative. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Upper Pinellas African Violet Society

• korina
    11 years ago

Yep, I'd take some leaves, maybe the crown too, and start new plants.

I wonder if that might be Optimara's Rhapsodie Michele?

• jonmcdade
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi eveyone

thank you for your responses. Its helped a lot. I decided to try save the plant as she is dear to me, even though she considered common.
    I've been treating her with a q-tip soaked with pure alcohol over this last week. I've used magnifying glasses to help discover all the hidden pesties. I'm happy to report that my girl took her medicine without skipping a beat. She is still in full bloom, appears to be pest free (though keeping a close eye) and no damage caused by the alcohol. Yeah!!!! She looks fabulous. I think the infestation came from a near by orchid. All plants in the area have been washed with soapy water or treated with alcohol. So far so good.... And I think I've discovered her name. I think it is Halo's a Glitter.
    I'm going to keep other plants away from this area until I am sure the infestation is gone for good. Thank goodness it was caught in time to easily treat.
    REgards all
    Jon

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Well done! Glad to hear it looks like a road to full recovery. Keep up the great work =o)

Sponsored