Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
havasuguy

Would like some African violet advice

havasuguy
12 years ago

After trying for years to get a cottage style rose garden to grow in Lake Havasu, Arizona, I finally gave up. Roses grow well until the summer, when the 118F+ temps kill them if they aren't shaded. And even if they're potted and moved around the yard, it's still a struggle. The wild types of roses are hardier and do ok if you plant near a partially shaded area. But they aren't exactly as exciting as a hybrid tea garden. And whatever lives, gets eaten by rabbits. Just not working for roses here.

I decided I would switch to another type of flower, one that I could grow indoors. African violets seemed like the ideal rose alternative because they have so many varieties and can bloom much of the year. I have several non-flowering houseplants that are thriving here. (Think of mixed plant baskets that everyone gets as gifts, like Philodendrons.)

I ordered online a couple AV plants and a couple leaf cuttings to try both methods. It's been downhill from there. (And this was all this week.)

It's simply too hot to put an AV in an Arizona window, even screened back. And on the east side of the house where it's cool, my windows don't get much light and are not convenient for plant placement. I read online that people in AZ have trouble getting AVs to grow because the air is too dry (have to be placed in gravel lined pans partially filled with water to bring up the humidity).

My leaf cuttings have basically "melted". My potted AVs are doing ok, but if I can't get the conditions just right, I think they might die from too little sun or too much sun, too little humidity, too much water, or too little water. (Hard to get the watering just right on these plants when the air is dry and it's hot.) I purchased a plant grower light (small inexpensive non-fluorescent one with a single bulb) and burned the edges of the potted AVs. (18" away from the plants)

I think once the summer is completely over, my luck will start to change. But summer comes every year. So if I decide to move forward growing AVs, I would have to have a plan for dealing with future summers. I've spent many hours researching AVs online and have all the right soil and feeding requirements. The issues appear to be getting the right light and the right amount of water.

I want to avoid putting a lot of time, money and energy into something that ends up dying either now, or next summer.

I thought I might be able to make it work if I put a plant shelf in a cool room of the house (cool for AZ, still probably on the warm side). Then place cool fluorescent lights over each rack. I could place a humidifier or aquarium in this room to increase the humidity. All of the plant lighting would come from fluorescent lights in the summer (if anyone can recommend specific brands, I would love it.) Then during the non-summer months, I could use natural lighting from the window. Any artificial lighting that increases heat would probably not work.

Would it be possible to grow AVs using exclusively artificial lighting for 4 months a year? Or would it be a struggle? Any of your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

Comments (4)

• snappyguy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Terry,

Many people grow violets on stands lit with fluorescent lights. Often, these plants stay on these stands year-round and are never given sunlight. The light tubes are generally kept about 12" above the foliage. Brand isn't important, but don't invest in grow bulbs. One warm and one cool white bulb in each fixture will work perfectly. The room shouldn't get above 80 degrees much, and humidity will help, especially with young plants and starting leaves. Research wick watering and the potting mix used for it. This takes much of the guesswork out of watering.

Mark

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Terry -

Mark gave you the correct answer.

I just wanted to add - there is Desert Sun African Violet Society - and even if it is not practical to drive from your home to Phoenix to the club meetings every month - I would suggest to go there at least once and find yourself a mentor who will agree to advise you on fine points of growing AVs in Arizona. We just got a new club member who moved from Tucson - and she is an excellent grower.

The best place for violets on a fluorescent light setup - is a basement - so if you have one - that's the way to go.

Irina

• havasuguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your great input. I set up a shop light (2 "sunshine" fluorescent lights) over a shelf this weekend. Then tested this out by placing a new potted AV I purchased randomly at Home Depot under the light. Window blinds closed so no sunlight was hitting the plant. After leaving the plant under here for two days (12 hours of artificial light each time) there is no sign of any damage using this method. This turned out to be the perfect solution. No dying or wilting AVs now! If that plant is doing fine right now, I think I can actually move forward with indoor lighting. So this is all great news. I had no idea there was a Phoenix AV club and I will investigate this. Maybe they have a show or sales. Though Phoenix is still a 3 hour drive from me! Kind of easy scanning eBay for the huge selection and convenience of shopping at 3 a.m.! What an addiction.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Terry

your violets will benefit if you will grow them with wicks, mats and trays method. I found that in dry climate of Colorado it make a huge difference.

I think you got the right idea - on practicing with store bought violets - before ordering fancy ones from ebay. After you will tune up your own method so your store bought plants grow like weeds - you can proceed and multiply.

Good Luck

Irina

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz