Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

window shelves

bspofford
17 years ago

Help! I'm looking for a source for shelves that fit on the window sill. I bought one about 6 years ago, it may have been at the Philadelphia flower show, but I'm not sure. It is metal painted white, has an edge that fits down between the sill and the bottom of the window, and has two supports that are fastened underneath and swing down to support the shelf. Sort of like the tray that carhops put into your window (dating myself)with that great root beer on it. I've tried the box stores and googled also. I did find one from Miles Kimball, but it doesn't fit very well and the supports don't even reach the wall. Ebay has a vendor that sells the same shelf. If anyone knows where I can find these, there might be a leaf or two in it for you!!

This is a great forum, and you are all now my best friends.

Barbara

Comments (19)

• korina
    17 years ago

Barbara, check out the link below. Is this what you were looking for? Close?

Korina

'I may be love's b!+ch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it.' ~Spike a.k.a. William the Bloody (Awful)

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee - window sill extender

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's it!!!! I probably did get this at the Phil. flower show from their booth.
    Now a decision to make... the ones from Miles Kimball were 5.00, and 18" long, so two fit in my window with an inch to spare. I could only fit one of these, and they are three times the money. I'll decide later, but now I know where they are. I am so thankful to you.
    I don't have any Senk's but I have a lot of babies coming on of other stuff. Any interest in a Blackie Bryant (large)leaf with babies, or a Nancy Leigh or Music Box Dancer Leaf? I have a Foster Trail that is a semi-mini that can spare a leaf. Leaves potted up of minis are Milky Way Trail, Ness' Angel Blush, Ness' Tutti Fruitti, Ness' Twinkle Pink, Peppermint Girl, and Rob's Bunny Wabbit. I think you and I are pretty opposite in what we really like best, the bigger the better for me, you like the small cute stuff.
    Let me know what you want. Thanks again for the link!

Barbara

• flybabytina
    17 years ago

Here is a link to the cheaper version... if anybody was curious like I was....

Here is a link that might be useful: Miles Kimball - Window Plant Shelf

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Let me caution you about these shelves before you buy from Miles Kimball. The flange the fits down between the windowsill and the bottom of the window is about 3/8" too long for my window, so it actually sits above the window sill. The metal rod that fits into the slot (the 'hole' at the front of the shelf that you see in the picture) is not long enough to fit against the wall to serve as a prop. If you had molding that came down far enough, it would probably be ok.
    I took the rod and put it under the shelf on top of the windowsill, and it does hold it up enough to be level and hold the plants. Rube Goldbergish to be sure. If any one is considering buying the ones from Miles Kimball, let me know if you want measurements to make sure it fits.
    The shelf from Burpee will fit like a dream.

Barbara

• korina
    17 years ago

Barbara, don't worry about it. It took me 1.5 minutes with Google to find it.

Just doin' my good deed, ma'am.

Korina, shufflin' off into the sunset

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Korinna,
    I was reading some of the old postings and summized you lived in No. Cal somewhere, and then saw your tale of going to Sac. to the spring show in '05 from Arcata. I lived in Rancho Murieta (17 miles east of Sacramento) for 9 incredibly long, hot years. I travelled the state in my job and made many trips to Eureka over 299. I love the area, including Arcata, and my constant was to always have a meal at the restaurant down in the cove in Trinidad. Food ok but the view is a knockout, as you know. And I always made sure I had to be in town when the jewelry store has the Holly Yashi sale. Dang, that is in Sept.!
    I usually attended the show in Sacramento but never really got as badly hooked as I am now. Unless I do mail order or e-bay, named violets are pretty non-existant here in Maine, and nice NOIDs are even hard to come by. But in 6 month's time I've managed to go from one noid to 157 varieties, and only 9 of those are noids. What a nice disease.
    I googled that darned shelf for hours, and the key was 'extender', not shelf. Who'd of thunk it?
    Keep in touch, I enjoy your decidedly weird sense of humor!And let me know when I can send you some leaf for a honkin' big violet!
    Barbara

• korina
    17 years ago

Yeah, that's a ni$e restaurant; unfortunately you can't get there from the 299 -- it's closed up due to some big ol' honkin' wildfires. We're talking evacuations all throughout Trinity *and* eastern Humboldt. Yeesh. I've never made it to the Holly Yashi sale -- any spare cash goes to either plants or books.

157 varieties?? Yeep, that's more than Heinz! Er -- yeah. A honkin' big violet sounds nice, but the situation being what it is (i.e. possible bacterial invasion possibly necessitating the complete destruction of my *entire* collection), it's probably not a real good idea right now. I'm *still* waiting on pins and needles for the lab report -- it's late. Dangit.

>I googled that darned shelf for hours, and the key was 'extender', not shelf. Who'd of thunk it?Korina, also waiting anxiously to watch my (illegal) tape of last night's House premier (yippee!). Sooon, soooon.

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, no! We'll all keep our fingers crossed and hope the rabbit lives. Oh, wait, that's a different test....

Barbara

• bspofford
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Korina, any word on the lab report?

Barbara

• korina
    17 years ago

Nada.

Korina, chewing my fingernails

• grammygrows
    16 years ago

Help!! I have inherited my mother's gloxinias and am desperately in need of window sill extenders. I have checked Burpee but they no longer seem to have them. I am reluctant to use the ones from Miles Kimball because of the information on this web site. Any suggestions???? Thanks so much.

• lilypad22
    16 years ago

There is another post that shouldn't be too far down the list here that has a great idea for shelves across a window. You put those adjustable shelf strips on on each side of the window frame (on the wall, but right next to the frame and then you can chose any width shelving you want and adjust the space between shelves at any distance. Thought that was a great idea. I'm not explaining it well, but just look down thru the posts and there are pictures..I think it was posted or replied to last month.

Also they sell pet (cat I'd guess) perches/shelves that attach to window sills in that manner, that would give a good space for plants. Might find that local at pet smart or someplace.

Remember if the shelf is at a window that gets sun, you need a sheer curtain or window reflection film or the plants leaves will cook.

tish

• violetta1976
    16 years ago

Grammy, I've seen them on ebay if that helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Set of two window sill extenders

• krystyna1937
    16 years ago

Perhaps my solution may help: I bought a couple of white wire mesh three-shelf units at Target to stand at my windows. They're about 23" wide, 28" tall and 13" deep. In my place the top shelf is about 6" above my sill. They can be stacked as well. The sill itself is 6" deep and 29" wide. So I can have plants on the sill and 6" above that and slightly behind is that 13" wire shelf. On the two shelves below that I can keep spare pots, watering can etc. I also set my tropical bonsais there for the winter. It works for me and looks pretty neat too. It's too late now (I'm an insomniac tonight for some reason), but I'll post a photo tomorrow.
    Krys

• krystyna1937
    16 years ago

{{gwi:372982}}

Goodmoning,
    Here's a picture of my window setup as described in my previous post. I'll now do another view.
    Krys

• krystyna1937
    16 years ago

{{gwi:372983}}

And here it is.
    Can anyone tell me how to get Imageskack to do several pictures in one go?
    Krys

• krystyna1937
    16 years ago

Re my last message: the typo should be Imageshack -- although come to think of it, I do sometimes have rude thoughts about the site.
    Krys

• grammygrows
    16 years ago

Thanks Lilypad, Violetta and Krys. All of these suggestions look good and I will have to do some experimenting and further investigation. I think my trip tomorrow will be to a pet store.

I certainly appreciate all of your help and will get back to you soon. Thanks again,

Grammy

• stonesriver
    16 years ago

If you do a search using StonesRiver, you will find the shelves that Tish described. She may have been talking about mine.
    Linda

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH