Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotzona_2007

My AV Minagerie

hotzona_2007
13 years ago

I have been reading and learning here for probably a couple weeks now, and thought it was time for me to join in the forum fun. :-)

I have one older African Violet that I have had for quite a while. I don't even remember where or when I got her. lol Did not come with a tag or description. She blooms purple, nothing fancy. Just recently rejuvenated her, and didn't kill her. lol I also have one of her babies that I started from a leaf cutting about a year ago. The Mama has bloomed some, but the baby not at all. Hopefully with the repotting/rejuvination, and more light, they both will soon be blooming. Found out the baby had a sucker, so removing that should help, also.

Mama this last July

{{gwi:373020}}

Mama After Rejuvination

{{gwi:373021}}

Baby of Unknown African Violet

{{gwi:373022}}

I started reading on AVSA, and found out that there was going to be a Sales and display event near me this last weekend, so took my Mom to check it out. Had never been to one of these, or any other African Violet event before.

Ended up buying a Fisherman's Paradise, and my mom bought a Cherry Sparkles. Mine is just a baby, born this last June, and hers was blooming, and already in a 4" pot. Both are the Large size. Weird lol, because when I went, I had my mind set on a miniature or semiminiature, but there really wasn't any nice ones.

Fisherman's Paradise From the Top

{{gwi:373023}}

Cherry Sprinkles

{{gwi:373024}}

Have also started a leaf of my Fisherman's Paradise in case something goes wrong. hehe My mom so far is not interested in me starting a leaf of the Cherry Sparkles, so I have to respect her wishes.

So that's my minagerie. The Cherry Sparkles flower is so beautiful that my photos really don't do her justice. Weird thing is, too, that I can't find her anywhere online. Wonder why.....

Comments (4)

• bspofford
    13 years ago

"Cherry Sparkles (7946) 10/08/1993 (S. Sorano) Semidouble-double pink frilled pansy/red speckles, fuchsia sparkle edge. Medium green, plain, quilted. Large"

The above information is listed in FC2, which is a database maintained by AVSA of registered and listed AVs. It is not listed online, but one can purchase the program through AVSA. To interpret the information.....the name of the hybrid, the registration number, if any, in parentheses, the date registered, the name of the hybridizer. Then, the blossom description, starting with type of blossom, color, and features, such as fantasy or edge. Then, the leaf description, starting with color, shape, texture. Then, the size of the plant.

Since there was a show/sale near you, there is a club also. I would encourage you to join the club for good friendship, helpful information form knowledgeable people, and a wonderful source of AVs that want to come live in your home.

Welcome to the forum!

Barbara

• hotzona_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Barbara! Still debating whether to join my local group. My mom is living with me, and I am taking care of her full time. So pretty much if I joined, she would have to go to meetings and such with me. We shall see.....
    lol, we may be filling our house with AVs between the 2 of us. :-)

Thanks for the info on the Cherry Sparkles, and your explaination of what everything means and how it is listed. I may have to get that program you are talking about. Is it very expensive?

Oh, forgot to mention in my last post that I am *Impatiently* waiting for my "Growing to Show" book. Yes, VERY impatiently! lol

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I love Fisherman's Paradise. It grows well on its own, it has gorgeous variegation and it is very floriferous.

Good Choice!!!

I.

PS My Mom only likes to grow what can be eaten. You will be lucky if you both will share this hobby.

• bspofford
    13 years ago

I checked the AVSA website regarding the FC2 program. It is $40.00 for non-members, and $27.50 for members. I find it invaluable as a reference for me, since I haven't yet memorized the details about the 17,000+ AVs listed! For example, unless I have marked a plant as a trailer, I may not realize that all those suckers I removed were growing on a trailing variety.....

I also pay for the updates, which are done several times a year and are easy to download.

Since we are sort of coming up on the holiday season, a membership to AVSA and the FC2 program make wonderful gifts.

I would be THRILLED if my mother would attend meetings at an AV club. She has no interest in it, and I guess being 3200 miles away doesn't help.... So, if it is something your mom would enjoy also, how blessed you are.

Barbara

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!