Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rebel's Splatter Kake... success!

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 3:01

I don't know if anyone here remembers my experiment to see if I could get Rebel's Splatter Kake from putting down leaves of Rebel's Astro Spinner. The first plantlet I got turned out as Rebel's Night Breezes, which is a lovely plant in its own right, and I'm happy to have it, as I never would've decided to get one otherwise. Seeing one in person, though, has changed my mind. The second plantlet has been growing nicely, and I've been waiting to see it bloom so I can see what it turns out to be. Well, the first bud has opened up enough for me to see, it is indeed Rebel's Splatter Kake! I'm so excited!

So this experiment, though it has taken a long time, has turned out well, as I now have Astro Spinner, Night Breezes, and Splatter Kake.

I'll take a pic when it opens more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rebel's Splatter Kake... success!

Congratulations! I have Rebel's Splatter Kake that I bought from the show and sale this spring. It's one of my favorites. This is the first I've heard of someone using a chimera leaf to get a plant. I've thought about doing the same thing with Yukako and seeing what happens.

Mark

o

Mark -

Rebel's Astro Spinner is a sport of R. Splatter Kake - and they are very similar except the chimera stripe in a middle of petals. R. Night Breezes is solid purple color which is more typical if you plant a leaf of a chimera plant - the lucky thing - the beautiful Geneva edge on all three of them. Looks like it is so persistent - no sporting is removing it.

So if you are lucky you can get out Yukako leaf all white or all blue with green edge.

Go For It!

Irina

o

The reason why I did it was because I was repotting Astro Spinner and either removed or broke off some leaves. I had Splatter Kake in the past, 3 times, and kept managing to lose it, so I wasn't going to buy any more, but I figured, I had nothing to lose by starting these leaves and seeing what I got. The first leaf only really produced one baby, which was just fine with me. Then I broke off another leaf by accident, decided to start that one too. The second one produced only one or maybe two babies also. But it is a plantlet from this second leaf that is blooming today as Splatter Kake.

It was fun! But it was not a speedy process. I'm doing better now that I am wick watering; in the past I had setbacks where they would have to recover from forgetting to water, which slowed things down.

On a more disappointing note, Astro Spinner is blooming heavily, but with a much less distinct purple stripe. It is still there, but faint. I did move it to a new spot early this year due to some sunburning, and converted it to wick watering, so maybe it is still slowly settling in. I hope it stays as Astro Spinner, but if it doesn't, I'll still keep it. It's been a faithful bloomer and a sturdy plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here