Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aharriedmom

Hi! And a funny (to me, at least)

aharriedmom
11 years ago

Hello all!

I've been super busy since school started so haven't been checking in here very often. I haven't done much with my plants but my 1st mother leaf has given me four babies and has a ton more coming up, and I have several other later-starts that have mouse ears popping up. I have figured out that it's best to leave the babies on the leaf until they're relatively large - the first two babies I took off the leaf are still quite small. I was impatient - they were my first babies! The third, which I let get bigger on the leaf, has taken off - it's nearly 3" across now. So there is fairly convincing proof that it's best to let them get bigger before transplanting.

So. My funny.

I got into AVs because of a neighbor. I took care of her plants when she was out of town, scared to death I'd kill them all. When I didn't, and she told me how they're pretty easy, I got my first four. I now have 11, not counting the coming leaf starts. I found this site and read tons on AV care.

She is out of town again, and I'm taking care of her plants. Ha, this time I am armed with all my enough-to-be-dangerous knowledge and I realize that her plants have long necks and need some serious grooming.

It's very hard to water her plants and resist the urge to remove all the dead leaves and I really want to repot them. I have to keep telling myself, "self, you cannot groom other peoples' plants. You cannot, it's impolite." But, oh, it's hard!

Comments (6)

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

Yeah that would be hard for me too!!! But I've no doubt I would pull off all the dead leaves.

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Definitely takes lots of willpower! But, yeah, dead leaf removal I think is doing a favor!

• nyxx
    11 years ago

LOL I love this. And the whole, "armed with all my enough-to-be-dangerous knowledge" Not to mention the number of plants you are up to. We did warn you,but you are not alone. You have lots of company here. Maybe when your neighbor returns you can offer to help her repot her plants, when she goes to do it, because you just enjoy it so much. lol
    Happy to see you back.

• aharriedmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have to admit to removing a few of the dead leaves from a few of the plants. Sometimes I just couldn't help myself. I tried, I really did.

:D

nyxx, I pop in from time to time to read, often as little mental health breaks while doing school work. I just haven't had a lot of time for posting. Life is busy, busy. I haven't even had time to get into trouble lately! ;)

• dognapper2
    11 years ago

âÂÂ¥ :)
    My mother has north & east windowsills filled with (mostly) blooming AVs. I picked one up to pull a few crispy blossoms & weathered leaves her 80 year old eyes no longer see. She exclaimed, "oh, I just watered them!" - probably her polite way of saying hands off :)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    11 years ago

I house-sat for my sister and brother-in-law once while they made a trip to Europe. I know that it is bad manners to work on someone else' houseplants without it being their request - even with family! However, I admit that I simply couldn't stand "just" watering her violets and other houseplants on her lighted stands. I had to, just HAD to pull off dead leaves and blossom stems at the very least. And I just ached to repot the poor things properly, but I restrained myself, LOL. Ah well, they bloom for her and that's all she wants. I'm sure she must have noticed when she got home how much neater her stand looked, but she never said a word. (Could that be good or bad!)