Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About spent flowers

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 6:34

Sorry if these questions were answered before..:-)

But is it a practice or even beneficial to pinch off the spent flowers?

Also, is there any benefit to a plant if the suckers, or babies that come off the main plant are pinched off too?
Sheesh, it almost sounds mean....

Mike.:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About spent flowers

It's much better for looks if you remove spent flowers. Don't know if it helps or hurts the plant, but one of our experienced members will, I am sure.

Per the suckers, everything I've read says, YES! Remove those suckers. They destroy symmetry first of all, but they also take away energy from the other crown. If you wait too long to remove them, leaves can already start growing contorted. But, if you wait until a sucker has four leaves, you can pop it off with a fingernail or sucker remover tool (or whatever you like to use), sprinkle the bottom with a bit of root tone, and then plant it. You'll soon have a second plant, identical to the first.

o

Hi Mike~
From what I've learned here, the suckers take the energy from the mamma plant, thus preventing it from blooming. This past spring I removed the suckers (big enough to re-plant) from my mamma plant, she is now blooming her head off and the babies are happy, healthy and strong growing on their own.

Maid~

o

Mike,

Removing spent blossoms, suckers, and dead leaves is part of grooming a plant. Sort of like brushing your teeth and combing your hair.... It helps your plants look their best, and gives you an opportunity to do some hands-on obseervations of your plants.

Barbara

o

I agree with Barbara and would add that spent flowers and especially ungroomed plants can be a breeding ground for trouble which is spelled in two words - disease and pest.

Dora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here