Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life of Lights

Posted by jobear446 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 8:27

Can anyone tell me how long plant lights last before they need to be replaced? Mine will be two years old this coming Christmas. They are regular shop lights and have done a great job. Just wondering...

Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life of Lights

Hi Joanne,
I believe they are supposed to be changed annually. In my case I wait until they burn out which can mean a few years.
Fred in NJ

o

It's safe to say the sun will last for another 3 billion years, maybe more. At that point, you'll want to find a replacement.

o

Cute, Frank, cute. LOL I have heard 1 1/2 years. I am cheap though and tend to drive them til they drop. I can get a good 3 years out of some of them. My plants look just fine.

Larry

o

I'm glad to see sense of humor.
I originally was going to post "until they go out" but wasn't sure if it would be appreciated.

Is there any con to using it until it goes/burns out? It's not hurting the plant, right?

Dora

o

Nope, the light output just lessens with time. You just get less light to the plant. Again, my plants bloom just fine even with old lights.

Larry

o

I bought a shop light and 2 plant/aquarium lights at walmart tonight. Came home, put the lights in, plugged it in.... nothing! So next time I'm not leaving the store until I TEST it first AT the store... ugh.

o

I too have had problems with lights from WM. Home Depot has the best prices for shop lights.

One thing to remember is to try not to replace both bulbs at the same time. The change in intensity can cause a culture break.

Barbara

o

Barbara,
What is a culture break?

Is that like culture shock where you go from one thing to another and its just too much to handle at one time?

Dora

o

Dora,

Brand new lights are very bright for a few weeks. If you replace two old bulbs at one, the intensity of the light can be rough on some of the violets. Or so I have been told. I have replaced two bulbs at a time once or twice and didn't see any problems, but then I have 24 inch bulbs. Maybe 48 inch bulbs can make a difference because the intensity is over a wider area. Just a thought.

Larry

o

Hi,
When I purchased my new light stand I automatically put two new bulbs in each fixture. My plants began to bleach out and turn a sickly yellow. I reduced the number of hours the lights were on for about a month and eventually they all came back. As for a culture break, click the link below and look at the break in my Picasso and how I dealt with it.
Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: The Violet Voice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here