Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parr_gw

Sporting

parr
12 years ago

I"m I getting so many sports because of plants that I choose?(Outer limits-Evening Splender-everfloris Joy-Buckeye Cranberry Sparkler)I wick water-grow under lights and feed with Schultz 8-14-9 African Violet food in less than half the amount called for.P.S never know what I"ll get. Thanks for any help Pat

Comments (3)

• snappyguy
    12 years ago

I've not heard of any of these varieties sporting, but that's not to say they can't. At least 3 of the Optimara EverFloris varieties have registered sports, and my Optimara EverGrace has been in the process of sporting for quite some time now, so they do seem to be a bit unstable. If you've never seen it the African Violet Society of America has a list of plants and their registered sports at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA registered sports

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Pat -

Schultz fertilizer has 6.9% urea, and not very much other forms of Nitrogen. So - in my opinion it is plain not good. The same is Jack's.
    With plants wicked - they are getting urea they are not able to absorb. Urea fertilizer requires real soil with microorganisms capable to convert it to something usable. Our soilless mix probably doesn't have any.

I would try to look for urea free fertilizer - Optimara's, DynaGro, we just ordered Plant Marvel from their site for a club.

Why they sell us the AV fertilizer that is loaded with urea - because urea is cheap, that's why,

Anything that is bi-color, fantasy, has edges etc. is prone to sporting. Some varieties - you really need to grow several babies to bloom before you choose the one you like. "Playful Spectrum" - do not even bother, wait for the sucker. The leaf will produce all kind of sports.

The more you stress your plant - the more chances it will sport.
    That's how you can get chimeras.

Good Luck

Irina

• parr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well that is a interesting sight.I better not give away any of my babies until they bloom . Thank you for answering my post.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County