Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunrtwilight

Can I get an opinion?

LunRTwilight
10 years ago

I honestly cannot remember if this violet was gifted to me or if it was one of the neglected ones I rescued, so no background, sorry. What I've noticed is that it grows taller than the rest of my violets in a pyramid shape. I turn ot regularly, but it still grows heavilyon one side and sparsely on the other? The side that grows heavily hugs the pot. When I got it, I had to re-pot it immediately because the neck was very long. It may be that I need to re-pot it again and cut off the bottom of the root ball, as I remember it touching the bottom of the pot.

Comments (9)

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a better view of the foliage.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by LunRTwilight none (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 9:13

I am no expert. I feel your violet got too much water.

The outer leaves do not look happy. In my experience, when the AVs grow the fastest, the surface of the pot is airy and dry.

Using self-watering pot requires as much technique as ordinary pot. 30% of the time, I pull the inner pot out and let it dry at places with air flow. Another 50% of the time, the water in the outer pot does not touch the bottom of the inner pot.

AVs do not like dry but, again AVs like somewhat dry soil with some persistent moist at the bottom. They CAN handle wet soil but they do not grow as fast. If the soil is wet for too long, the leaves hug the pot.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 19:49

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Seriously overpotted - but happy and blooming. I grew very similar violet- came to me without a name - and it is probably an old variety. Some plants have this growth habit - they do not want to lay flat and grow as a pyramid. Usually it is the sign that their internode distance is larger than usual. If you support the leaves with a violet ring - or make a makeshift support out of a styrofoam plate with a hole in a middle and radial cut to squeeze the center in - you can train it to grow more evenly. The fact that is heavier on one side - it probably has more leaves - and you chip the very lower leaves until it looks more symmetrical - then it will continue to grow this way. Or you can try to move shifted leaves little by little with toothpicks stuck in a ground.

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pot is an average-sized AV pot, the same size as most of my others, and a I said before, the root ball extends all the way to the bottom. Maybe it just looks bigger in the picture?

I've barely had it a month, and as you can see, it has just started blooming. I like the toothpick idea and I will see if letting the pot dry will help. The new growth looks fine and seems to be coming in evenly. I think it just meed more time to adjust to its new environment. (Its previous owner has "too many" at home and brought it to me to save.)

I also like the styrofoam plate trick. I may have to try that one out, too. Thanks for all the great advice! I can't wait to get this baby back in shape.

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Posted by LunRTwilight none (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:43

1 - The size of AV pot is relative to your AV. As the expert Irina said, the pot is too big for your AV. The rule of thumb is:

The diameter of your pot shall be 50% of the diameter of the crown of your AV.

2 - I would not bring my AV into direct sunlight. That may cause sun-burn. They like that bright indirect light.

3 - Your AV may rapidly decline and before you know it, you may have to re-root it. I really feel the outer leaves do not look happy :)

• jujujojo_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, there is an easy way to check. Gently move the outer leaves by the tips. Move, left and right, your finger tip with the tip of each leaf.

Do you feel if the leaves are firm? If they are, then you are FINE.

If the leaves feel like they are really loose, like they are really flexible, then you must be VERY careful.

BTW, I know your AV is new :)

• LunRTwilight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves are very firm and healthy. They get only a couple of hours of sun in the early morning. After using the toothpick idea, the plant looks much more centered and I am letting the pot dry to make sure it is not a water issue. I clipped off the bottom row of leaves on the heavier side (the ones that were hugging the pot). I know these things take time, but I want to give them the TLC that they need. It really is lovely in bloom and has become a favorite in a short time (except that I just ordered two new ones that will easily become favorites upon arrival ^.^).

Since I've only been growing my violets for less than a year, I know there is much I can learn. Here is an above view to give you an idea of how big the pot is relative to the plant... But I'll admit, the plant is not quite centered in the pot. The neck was well over two inches above the soil when I got this little guy. I should have cut an inch off of the bottom before repotting it.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Lun,

Your pot is too big.Centered or not centered, it still is too big.

Linda

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone