Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer Salts & Discolorations

Posted by nwgatreasures (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 7, 08 at 10:10

Morning Everyone!

About 10 days ago, I adopted a Dresdon Doll in a 6 in. pot. I thought the size of the pot was too large for the size of the plant and removed most of the soil from the root system and repotted it into a 4 in. pot with new soil (1/1/1 mixture that I've used successfully for 6 months now)

I removed the outer most ring of leaves because they were looking old and drab.

I set it up to wick water and the only thing that ever touched the soil from the top was some BBB spray that I sprayed directly towards the base (not the crown) of the plant from an outward direction and then I sprinkled some granules around the outer edge where the dirt meets the pot.

I've noticed this week that the perlite is all orange/brown color. Soil looks fine.

The plant seems to be thriving, I've got several new bloom buds that are coming up and the leaves are crisp and healthy looking....nice form, good symmetry, no irregularites, etc.

There are no salts building up around the edge of the pot that I can see so I'm wondering since nothing has come into the soil from the top, why is my perlite changing colors?

and is there something that I should be concerned about?

Dora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer Salts & Discolorations

Dresden doll is a trailing african violet. How big is the plant and is it multi-crowned? The bloom are very pretty. Maybe you should leach the soil...run water thru it to take any build-ups out of the old soil. Anything granular I add to the soil, I scratch in or apply as I'm repotting at the root level. rish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here