Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

LiNDA question for you? look on my violets now.

philpet
10 years ago

Linda hi again, remember I told you I move my violets from a full western exposure to a north western one well look what's happening.this is the violet that was reaching well the leaves are now going flat I will send you three more pics to look at the others, the first is a side view of the same plant leaves going down, the second of two that the leaves keep hugging the pots. These two only get northern exposure and the last one is of my Warm summer sunshine, its leaves were up in the air but now they are also going down. From the leaf colour I know they are not getting too much sun, the amount they get is very filtered so what going on? Could you please tell me. Velleta

Comments (5)

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LINDA, this is the side view as you can see the leaves are starting to go down. Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LINDA, these are the two which seem to love hugging the pot, they are the two same plant exactly. And they are also the ONLY two that does this when I bought the first one the leaves hug the pot also, so I went to a show and bought a second one younger this time and the same thing has happen, the older of the two is the one hugging the pot the most. Bt this is the only problem with them they are healthy otherwise as you can see. Velleta

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LINDA, last one. This is my favourite(my linda) warm smmer sunshine. As you can see its leaves are also going flat, its healthy and the leaves are big and sort of. I think cup would be the correct word but that's it no other problem. Its been over a week since I move them to their new location, it also has two very small buds that are growing so did I do something, WRONG/RIGHT. Thanks again and I hope one day I will be just like you( well educated about A.V.). Velleta

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Velleta,

Your plants are responding to the move. If you look at the centers, they look as though they are coming in nicely. not too tight, not too loose. Keep watching the reaching one and see if it continues to move in this manner. About the ones that are hugging the pot-some varieties naturally grow in this manner. What is the big clue is that both are of the same variety and both are growing this way.

The cupped leaves are also a trait that some varieties have. In fact, if you look at the hybridizer's description of many cupped-leaved varieties, the description 'cupped leaves' will be included.

If you are wondering if a plant is growing correctly, it can sometimes be helpful to do a search for that variety. I usually try to look for photos from violet shows as the exhibited plants must be true to the variety.

Also-when you said they are the exact same plant-remember plants are individuals. Same varieties, although generally the same-flower color, leaf pattern, etc., will exhibit their own unique likes and quirks. This can be from many instances-maybe one never developed a robust root system and the other has. It can also be from the grower who has grown in their unique circumstances. These all will produce a plant with its own growing preferences.

Look at your plants over-all. Do they look good? You can tell a plant that is struggling as compared to a happy one. I think your plants look good and you said yourself they are healthy. You are getting a better eye which will become sharper as you continue to grow. Trust your judgement!

And---you have buds! You must be doing something right! Stay the course!!!

Linda

P.S. I noticed on another thread you mentioned talking to your plants. We all do, so don't worry-we won't think you're crazy! I have a friend who plays classical music for his orchids 24/7 and he grows amazing plants!

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again thanks Linda, I feel so happy to know my plants are ok. And YES they all look happy, where I had them before they always look sort of tired and dull now their colours are bright and just by looking on them you see vigor. With your help of course. I am praying my two buds will open, they are suppose to be yellow. :) now I can just watch and encourage them along. P.S. Watch is too modest of a word, I look on them every chance I get. LOL. Velleta

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County