Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philpet

LINDA suggesion please?

philpet
10 years ago

Hi LINDA, I need yor help again. This is one of my AV that lost its crown( bad growing on my part) :( luckly I did not loose the plant. Bt now its growing two different suckers, one from the center and one from the side. My problem is its looks as if they are competing for space. Now my plan is to let the one in the center become the new crown and remove the one to the side when it is big enough but they are both so very close and I don't think the one to the side is big enogh to remove. This is the only plant and I don't even know the colour of the blooms as yet (didn't get it in bloom). So I wold want to keep the side suckes as dplicate. So please tell me what do I do? I really love this plant it also has big cup leaves, and I don't want to remove any of the leaves to try and root, this method hardly works for me I always get rot. I have only been able to get TWO to produce babies and these were place in a cup next to my other violets UNCOVERED. So please help me here what wold you do? Thanks a million. VELLETA

Comments (12)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

You just need to wait until your suckers will be bigger - it is too early to remove one if you want to root it.

It is a sound idea to stick a removed leaf in the same pot - if you have space for it. You can move it to its own pot - when it will show "mouse ears".

Irina

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks irina, but because they always say to cover the leaf in a dome or plastic baggie. But this method only works for me if I leave it uncovered. Do you think I should still remove a leaf from this plant it only has for big ones, or wait on the sucker since it already has one? Thanks again. VELLETA.

• LunRTwilight
    10 years ago

I agree with Irina. It does not appear as though it needs to be operated on at this point. Just let it be until it's big enough to survive on its own. As for competing for space, plants are amazingly adaptive. They will find a way to get what they need.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Velleta - just let it be - too much TLC is bad. When the suckers will double in size you will decide.

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Irina, its just that where I live I only know one supplier of AV and she is over 135 miles away so I treat them extra special. I am just getting to nderstand them and would not want to loose any they also cost a lot of money so you can understand me wanting to not have to replace any. Anyways thanks again and I will try to not be so obsess with them. ( Like that's even possible) LOL. :).

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Velleta,

Relax, Sweetie!!!

Like Irina says, wait until your suckers are bigger. The bigger they are, the better chance they have of surviving. Too much hovering IS bad. And, I am certain, plants, like animals, can sense when you are uneasy with them and they spite you by dying.

Also, if rooting leaves uncovered is what works for you, then do it that way. Covering helps retain humidity which, in Jamaica, shouldn't be a problem. Remember, some of our members live in areas that do not have much humidity so covering helps.

I would also say that if you have a plant with a lot of leaves, practice starting them. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Linda

• philpet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks linda, I will just let it be then. Velleta

• becky15349
    10 years ago

" And, I am certain, plants, like animals, can sense when you are uneasy with them and they spite you by dying. "

I laughed out loud at this, This is SO true!! I have been growing orchids for 10 years, and it almost takes this long to realize that the more you leave the plants alone, the better they do. I'm applying the same logic to my AV's and its working well :) Great advice!!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Becky,

I have been in the Hort. business for a very long time and I never fail to be amazed at the ideas people have about growing plants! Things that I consider to be common sense isn't. I once had a customer tell me that unless you pruned tress, shrubs and flowers they wouldn't grow. Really???? How did they manage before people came along?

The way to a green thumb is to provide proper growing conditions; light, water and nutrition, and then get out of the way and let the plants take care of themselves! They will do it better than we ever will. I think that is why people with large collections seem to grow better plants; they don't have the time to obsess over each little detail.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda
    Years ago, I read that house plants like to have people
    exhale carbon dioxide over them. That
    stuck in my mind as a reason to make sure I looked
    at them every night, even if they did not need a lot
    of attention. Also, to keep them in the living room
    where there were more people.

I think people with large collections also have proved
    to themselves they have some success.

when I lived in a climate where houseplants were
    difficult to grow under normal circumstances, I
    had just a few. Now that I live where AVs are a
    cinch to grow, I have a lot. (relatively speaking--
    a lot for me. I don't count the plantlets, as they
    will go to other homes once they are big enough.)

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

People inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide and plants do the reverse. Maybe this is where the idea of breathing over them is helpful.

I read the oxygen supply on earth comes mainly from the growth of the Brazilian/Amazon rainforests. A HUGE concern if the forests are depleted.

Linda

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

"...A HUGE concern if the forests are depleted."

What do you mean IF ... I think it is probably AS ...

We've screwed the earth bad

Plant a tree on that next special occasion. Or better yet, plant a tree every time you get a new AV ...

hope everyone had a great summer ...