Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillip44

trailers

Phillip44
10 years ago

After a search I found some of my answers . But I am getting conflicting answers on how hard or easy it is to grow a trailer . Mine is a Cherokee Trail and a hobbyist said "You have a Cherokee Trail ? Good luck with that ! " .

Is it really that difficult a plant ? The wife is excited because she wants one in a small hanging basket in the kitchen .

I do not want to go through everything I have already read and I realize many may grow tired of answering questions repeatedly , but any tips would be greatly appreciated . This is my first trailing AV .

Comments (5)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I grow this trailer for 10 years. The foliage is really pretty - lots of white, it doesn't bloom too much - because of so much white on the leaves - but when it blooms - the strawberry ice cream color of the flowers is very attractive. It is not a good show plant because of the l;ow bloom count - and it is not a strongest plant - it will do better under the lights then in hanging basket - but you can try - on a spare plant.

I.

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have plants growing under artificial lights and those that grow in natural light (East side of house like the kitchen window) . My AVs' that receive natural light seem to be more proficient flowering plants than those in under the artificial . But then again , I am due for a new bulb as this one has used up it's intensity .

My apologies for changing the subject , but do those who use artificial lights change out your bulbs regularly ? A florescent bulb's intensity diminishes over time and does not put out the proper spectrum it did when it was new . Like in my aquariums , I change my bulbs out every 6 months to a year . I use T-5 HO incandescents and replacing them this often is over kill but ......... an old bulb not putting out the proper spectrum can actually promote algae growth .

This post was edited by Phillip44 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 13:44

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I have several trailers and have found by experimenting that they like natural light. I don't have Cherokee Trail though so don't know for sure about that one. You could try moving it to different light situations. I do have one under artificial light that is coming into bloom now, (Fiery Trail) but it is about 18 inches under the light.
    I haven't changed my bulbs, but I haven't had them a year yet.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I keep my Cherokee trail 12 inches from 2 T8s. Normally 6-12 inches is what necessary - on T12s and T8s. T5 you need to keep higher - becauise of the high intensity of these bulbs.

If you are competing for the Best in Show - it is important to change the tubes. If not - then not. I watch for the dark rings at the ends of the tubes before I chuck them - or if they die.

Phillip - there is no such thing that doesn't promote the algae growth. Darn thing grows no matter what. If you use Physan - it slows it down some. Would you use black mats - you do not see it that well - and it is comforting.

i.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    10 years ago

If you want a constant bloomer get a "Fancy Trail"! Mine are ALWAYS in bloom! They never seem to stop! Easy to start from leaf cuttings too.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County