Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillip44

feeding

Phillip44
10 years ago

I did a search and have been through many of the older threads but did not see this so if it was asked before I apologize but......

As I stated in another post , I water my plants with my aquarium water . I do not add ferts to the aquarium water , just my ( dechlorinated ) tap water when I run out of the old aquarium water I save in 5 Gal. buckets . I was talking to the owners of a local greenhouse and they stated I should still add ferts . My AVs , along with all my other plants , are thriving and blooming like crazy , so my thoughts are , if it is not broke , don't fix it .

What do you think , should I still add ferts to the aquarium water or would that be overkill ? Most everything they need is right there in the water already .

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Phillip,
    I would question if the water has the macro- and micro-nutrients in it but--If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

Linda

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Without going into a long typing spree ( I am a hunt and peck typist) with numbers , test results , dosage etc; etc; , my freshwater set-up is a planted tank and dosed with ferts so the macro/micro nutrients are there . After I re-read my first post , I should clear what I am saying up , I do not add AV ferts to the aquarium water before watering . Maybe that information may have helped in my original post .

This post was edited by Phillip44 on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:38

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Phillip -

I am siding with Linda. If your plants look good, do not have pale leaves and bloom sufficiently - just let it be. You are feeding them with an organic fertilizer - fish poop.

Irina

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

too bad this doesn't work for saltwater tanks. my tank might get cleaned more often! :)

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina ,
    I think the greenhouse was just trying to talk me into buying ferts from them .

Bttrfii ,

LOL . I have now started to clean my freshwater tank every time I need to water my plants . I know the fish are liking it .

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

@phillip

hey... wanna clean mine too? O:-)

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You have a Python ? I hate carrying buckets lol .

• bttrflii
    10 years ago

python to me is a dangerous snake, so i assume that no, i do not. :) however my saltwater tank is (perhaps not surprising to anyone who's read my AV preference) micro at only six gallons, so i only have to swap a gallon at a time. [{{gwi:373600}}]

i have two clown fish, three sand-dwelling snails, a bumblebee snail, a watchman goby, and a tiger pistol shrimp. i wanted to have the water hermit crabs, but they kept running afoul of the shrimp. sigh. i'd take a picture, but it's impossible to keep the front glass clean (and hence it looks horrible, and i ain't showing a horrible picture) since the shrimp and goby have made their home against it and i don't like to disturb them.

what fish do you keep? my favorite freshwater fish are betas and neons. i don't suppose you have those?

• Phillip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not the snake , lol . Not a fan of reptiles myself . But a micro aquarium would be a joy to clean compared to my 30+ gallon tanks .

I keep Serpae tetras and Purple Passion Danios in my Freshwater .

I keep Spotted/Figure Eight Puffers in my brackish tank .

I have had betas and Neon Tetras in the past .

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus