Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Violet Barn website hacked?

Posted by Sonority (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 12:31

Anyone else get a server hacked by tigermate message when they visit the violet barn site?

Of all sites, why would someone target that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Violet Barn website hacked?

I get it too. Probably someone trying to get credit card numbers. That's my guess anyway. Or they just do it for a stupid ego boost of "look what I can do."

o

We had our club site hacked once. Larry_B put a lot of time and love building the site - and even more time - rebuilding. Why - because they can and they are malicious. Why some kids are torturing animals? Because they are preparing to torture people when they grow up. Psychopathic behavior.

o

Robbery, like website vandalism, targets people who fit a particular profile, like the rich or elderly. When you put yourself out on the web, your server hosting the site has characteristics, i.e. the operating system, and various back end things like databases. In the same way a criminal profiles a person they profile a computer system. We get upset because we like Rob and his site, but to the criminal it's not necessarily personal as much as it is they have the right profile to attack. As an IT professional I have some experience defending against these types of things. We can get a website up fairly easily, but there is a lot of bad IT services out there, if the site isn't protected or if it's not backed up regularly etc... There are common exploits out there which make it easy to "hack" a site, and it doesn't take much skill to do, but usually these attacks are the result of the IT person setting up the website not being aware of such exploits. Smaller sites like Rob's tend to be set up by either the in house person or a friend, not a professional, so the people setting it up tend to not be as experienced in securing a site.

just my $.02

o

The Violet Barn redid their website. I just tried it and it works fine. (https://www.violetbarn.com/store/)

However, I'm having problems viewing the photos on the AVSA site. I cannot access any photos. Any advice?

o

It is under quite a lengthy reconstruction. Wish them luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here