Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwedzi

Your Favorite Hybridizer?

mwedzi
18 years ago

Have we had a question like this recently? I can't remember, but it's always good to have one again. Do you guys have a favorite hybridizer?

I like a lot of folks. I like Holtkamp for making such strong, tough plants that bloom a lot in low light with not so stunning care. Though I lost a lot of plants over the summer as my subletters "cared" for them, my Optimaras all survived.

I also like the (Ma and Rob) Robinsons for producing such incredibly floriferous (sp?) plants that also don't require insane amounts of lights.

But these days, I am just dying over the Buckeye series, and I guess that's Hancock, because their flower colors are so rich with such great patterns. They are big, impressive plants.

What about you guys?

Comments (25)

• miamiyankeefan
    18 years ago

I also like the buckeyes -- lots of flowers all the time and oh those leaves! Speaking of gorgeous leaves, how about the apaches (the ruffly ones especially)? And the flowers are gorgeous too. And special mention to Sorano for "Frozen in Time". This is an incredible plant. Mine has been in bloom since I got it in February and is covered in flowers that never die. And how about.... And then I love.... And don't forget....

But all said and done, I'm a sucker for those ruffly leaves combined with ruffly flowers and my vote to Munk for his apache series.

• lainielady
    18 years ago

Probably one of my favorites is the Ness' varieties. He hybridized some of the ones I like best and grow well for me. Ness' Satin Rose, Ness' Crinkle Blue and Ness' Fantasy Gold come to mind right away and all are steady bloomers.

There are many others I like just as well, but Don Ness remains at the top of my list.

Elaine

• lainielady
    18 years ago

Egads!! I forgot to mention in the above post that Lyndon Lyon is another very favorite! How could I have not remembered to mention all the gorgeous hybrids produced by that hybidizer? No matter if standard, mini or trailer, he always has something beautiful to offer. I can't even begin to count all of their (Lyon/Sorano) violets growing on my shelves. Must be old timer's disease setting in!!!

Elaine

• jon_d
    18 years ago

Here is one that isn't often mentioned--the late Ted Khoe. In the 80's he made some great mini trailers, which are among my favorite AV's Every one I have grown was wonderful, but there are only a few--'Wood Trails' and 'Tiny Wood Trails' are his best known. But, his 'Always Pink' is a fantastic little bell shaped trailer. I haven't had one in years but I believe it is still cultivated by a few people. I wish this one would become popular again. He also made some other great trailers, named after cities in the San Francisco Bay area such as 'Saratoga Trails', 'Redwood Trails' etc. All are worth searching out. At least being so small, they don't take up much room. Ted was also a member of our two local gesneriad society chapters. He was a great grower who often won best in show with both violets and other gesneriads. Right now I don't have any of his minis :(.

Jon

• rujoanmi
    18 years ago

Without a doubt,
    #1 Eyerdom
    #2 Sydney Sorano
    #3 MacDonald
    #4 Paul Sorano
    #5 Pittman
    #6 Tinari
    #7 Ness
    #8 R. Robinson
    #9 Holtkamp
    ....but again, that's just my opinion....there are many others whose plant's I've grown and been disappointed with, and even more whose plants I haven't grown.
    Russell

• mwedzi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, you have a ranked list! Those are all great guys and gals. I don't think I have any by MacDonald or Tinari. Can someone suggest a Tinari variety?

• korina
    18 years ago

My favorite hybridizer is the anonymous saint who came up with Tiny Moon Goddess....... I can't seem to come up with anything witty or clever this morning. Bluh.

kORINA

Can't Stop the Signal

• rujoanmi
    18 years ago

Hi Korina,
    I believe Tiny Moon Goddess was hybridized by Lyndon Lyon, please anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Russell

• korina
    18 years ago

Anything's possible; all the descriptions I've seen list the hybridizer as 'Anonymous'. Anyone have FC2?

Korina
    (Close 2nd is (you know it) Mr. David Senk.)

• Brambles
    18 years ago

Tiny Moon Goddess isn't listed in FC2...but I have also seen it as "anonymous" somewhere in the past.

~Brambles

• lainielady
    18 years ago

Russell,

It's nice to see you posting again. There is a Moon Goddess that is a standard plant, but I believe Tiny Moon Goddess is a micro-mini by an unknown hybridizer. It is not one I have but then I lean more towards the standards(I must like the extra plant space they take up)!! The funny thing is I started out with a lot of minis and semiminis in the nineties but gradually began collecting the bigger plants, and I don't regret it one bit!

Anyway, like Brambles, I did check First Class2 but didn't see Tiny Moon Goddess listed but remember reading somewhere not too long ago that it was indeed by someone anonymous.

Elaine

• rujoanmi
    18 years ago

Hi Elaine,
    TINY MOON GODDESS (Lyons) Double dark blue bell-shaped flowers over micro-mini foliage Miniature.
    That is the information I received when I purchased this plant years ago. It looks as though it has no reg #. We can always check with Llg. to find out.
    Russell

• korina
    18 years ago

Email has been sent. I'll let you know when (or if) they respond.

Korina (off to my first local AV club meeting)

• farmerSK
    18 years ago

I guess my list will be a little different than the ones posted so far. I really like mosaic variegated foliage, so I guess number one on my list is Ethel Champion. She is closely followed by George McDonald - I love the Mac series of hybrids that he's developed. I can't wait to see Mac's Rouge Rogue bloom - hopefully it's as red as images show.

Jon - if you read this I have Always Pink. In fact I have LOTS of Always Pink as I just separated one plant. It's blooms are gorgeous and it is small.

It's not to say that I don't like Rob's things - I have lots of those as well!

Joan in SK

• korina
    18 years ago

Well, I received a response from Lyndon Lyon; it's not helpful.

'Sorry, people from that era that might have been able to answer that question, no longer work here. We don't know!
    LLG'

Grr. Argh.

Korina

• rujoanmi
    18 years ago

Oh Korina!
    I guess 'Tiny Moon Goddess' will forever be anonymous! It's both happy and sad...poingnant! I'd still bet a dollar that Lyndon Lyon hybridized it. Too bad that they don't keep records at LLG. Maybe he didn't register it with AVSA on purpose, ...or MAYBE, he objected to AVSA not recognizing micro-mini's? Do you think there may be anyone over at AVSA who can shed some light on this?...I just don't believe that NO ONE knows where 'tiny moon goddess' came from!..and it is sad, that all of us who enjoy and appreciate this plant, do not know whom of the deceased to add in our prayers and gratitudes for it. Maybe, by chance or coincidence, some people from "that era" (my goodness, they make it sound like pre-historic times don't they?) are still alive and reading here, just like 'tiny moon goddess' is still alive and thriving in our homes, and will answer our question? Maybe it is just the end of an "era". Our big NJ show this year is about "russian violets"??? They've gone from optimara, to space babies, to russian violets...?...I'm starting to feel ashamed I live in NJ.
    Any way, do you think it would be appropriate to email them back, and ask them if anyone who "worked for them at that time" is still alive, or if they have contact information for those whom are?
    Based on the response you've received, chances are they just don't really want us to know. I guess we can live with that, can't we?
    Russell

• korina
    18 years ago

I don't know, I think it adds a bit of mystique; the beautiful lady with mysterious origins.

I believe LLC probably isn't interested in pursuing this; running a business is hard work, a nursery more so.

However, I think I have a few questions for the AVSA, including the status of micro-minis. I'll keep everyone updated.

Korina

'Was on the losing side. Still ain't convinced it was the wrong one.' - Captain Mal 'Tight Pants' Reynolds

• korina
    18 years ago

Well, I received a reply from the AVSA about Tiny Moon Goddess:
    'I checked all my resources, all the way back to 1942, and found nothing. There were a good many plants that were released but did not get into the MVL.
    Sorry I couldn't help.
    Barb'

Guess she does get to keep that mystique.

Korina

• rujoanmi
    18 years ago

Yep, prehistoric times. Someones keeping a secret! Our best bet would be to track down someone who worked at llg, "from that era", hopefully an AVSA member. What did they say about the status of micro-mini's?

• korina
    18 years ago

I sent an email re: micros, no answer as yet.

Korina

'I swallowed a bug.' -River

• User
    10 years ago

Can anyone post a little information about Don Ness? I am about to share a Ness' Cranberry Lace and would like to tell the recipient something about the hybridizer.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Don Ness and his wife Jean kept an AV store called Midland Violets in White Bear Lake MN. After he passed away in about 2005 she continued selling plants- but I am not sure if she is still active.

There is a North Start Violet Council of Twin Cities in MN - and I am sure these are the people who have known him personally and who could fill you in on this wonderful hybridizer from MN.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Wow, Irina! I am impressed! Another unvoiced question
    of mine answered before I got a chance to ask it!!
    I, too, have 'Ness Cranberry Lace. I don't remember
    ordering it, perhaps it was a "gift." It is in its first blooming
    now. It is quite vivid in hue.
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

He was a very talented guy = his hybrids will last - hope MN Council will post an article about him.