Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some help

Posted by nccactuslady 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 13:29

Hi everyone... can someone tell me how and when to pot up babies started from leaves? Do I cut off from the "mother" stem leaving all the roots with the babies? How big of a pot do I need to use for the babies?
Thanks for any help.
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some help

Nancy-

there is a wonderful site where a lot of things are explained and illustrated by a bunch of pics.

I would suggest for you to look it up so you would get the general idea. The whole site is a treasure.

Good Luck

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachel's Reflections

o

Irina thank you so much

o

I can never find small pots for babies so I use those small plasic dixie cups with a hole poked in the bottom.When they get bigger I use bigger dixie cups.I usually seperate them from the mom when the leaves are nickel sized.I just pull them off the mom....:0)marigene

o

I can get a lot of small plastic pots. They're 2" wide, with many holes in the bottom. In fact I've been using them for my violets during the first 3, 4 months of their life. The pot cost $0.1 each. The only draw back is they're "black"!
Should you like them, I can get them to you in exchange for stuff like perlite, vermiculite, bark chips, etc. which I normally cannot find where I am. Email me if you're interested.

Xuan

o

Marigene,

I too searched for just the right small cup for babies and leaves. There is a coffeemaker called a Kuerig that uses a prepackaged 2 ounce cup that is the perfect size. My bank has one in the lobby for customers, and I discovered the cups there. I had them save the 'garbage' because it drops the cup into a bin automatically, and I cleaned them out and re-used them. I found a bulk deal on the same cup on e-bay. I just looked, and only see the 2 ounce souffle cup, which is wider and shorter, so not really good for this purpose. However, some party supply stores may sell the right cup as a container for 'jello shots.' In looking online, some are the taller narrower one, some sell the souffle type. Solo makes them, so you may find them as a special order item.
In summary, google for Kuerig, jello shot, and solo cup, and you'll come up with some pictures.

Are you still in Seattle? We lived in Mukilteo.

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here