Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmushka

Odd seed-grown AV?

From the beginning, this little guy's developed extra-long petioles, despite being in the same space as its brethren which developed normally. And now it's decided to sprout multiple crowns. Any thoughts on why it's doing it/what should be done at this point? Should I just trim off the excess tops?

Much thanks.

Nadya

{{gwi:373899}}

{{gwi:373900}}

{{gwi:373901}}

Comments (9)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Nadya - hi -

Several possiblilities

It possibly wants to become a trailer - with the seeds - if you bought them in a store - who knows what parents could be. Usually trailers have more elongated or tipped form of the leaf. But who knows.

I would remove the lower rows of smaller "baby leaves", remove suckers and pot it so now bared stem will be buried. It should probably stimulate them to bloom and you will see if it is worth holding to it period. If it will continue to grow the same way - long stem and holding to the leaves - you can try to grow it as a trailer - remove the lower leaves - so the suckers can develop and create a multicrown plant. Trailers especilally standard take longer to bloom so you need to be patient. Long stem is good for trailers but not for rosettes.

Not everything that sprouts needs to be kept. Actually a hybridizer sends 95% of the plants to the compost pile. So you can keep this odd one for observation until you can say - if this plant has some interesting qualities or not.

Good luck

I hope you will post the pics of blossoms for us to see.

Irina

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Irina,

The seeds came from a cross between two of my NOIDs, neither of which are trailers.. still, the possibility is intriguing!

Thank you for the advice, hopefully it wouldn't take another year to bloom after stripping/repotting..

Nadya

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:373902}}

After the lower leaves and suckers were removed, there wasn't much left.. Did notice that the leaves had a cool sort of an upside-down spoon shape, though.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Nadya -

it looks good to me. If you want it to grow faster - give it a drink of a fish emulsion every so often. I just heard a recommendation to use a weak solution of fish emulsion to actually leach the pots that are normaly get a non-organic fertilizer in their water.

Hope to see the pics of bloom soon.

Irina

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Will give fish emulsion a shot, next time I see it anywhere in the store..

Here are some pictures of blooms, not in this one, but in one of my other seed-growns. The flower actually closes at night! (Or tries to, anyway) I've never seen that in an AV before. Is that normal?
    {{gwi:373903}}{{gwi:373904}}

And some birthmarks on the back of the other S-g. (They look more impressive in person. ;) )

{{gwi:373906}}

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

I've never grown from seed, but you're making me want to. I love surprises. Now me, I would put that multi-crown into a large pot and let it go to town, just to see what it does.

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You should try it. :3 It's surprisingly rewarding.

So far, the multi-crowned one failed to develop anymore crowns, so 'm not sure if it even knows what it wants to be.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

It is a rosette, not a trailer, gorgeous fuschia color, your soil mix seems it can take more perlite (in my conditions may be not in yours)- and the plant - more nitrogen. Fish emulsion will give it a boost and you will have more blossoms.

Good Job

irina

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, it could be lightened.. next time 'm re-potting babies, will throw an extra handful of perilite in.

The single fuchsia one's gotten another flower since 've last posted: apparently it's decided that 5 petals is one too many!

{{gwi:373907}}

Silly AV.