Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bttrflii

AVSA web site

bttrflii
10 years ago

does anyone happen to know what happened to the avsa.org web site? it's been down for a couple days now, which seems odd since i know they're still active.

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I was on it yesterday.

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

have you been on it today?

i've tried their site multiple times the past few days but have never gotten it to load.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I've just tried and it won't load for me either.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

it is back up now

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i just tried from two different locations, but it's still down for me.

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

I can not get it to load neither . I was thinking about joining , is it worth it ?

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well their web site isn't. :p humor there aside, their web site hasn't helped me personally with anything at all, such as i can't find official sizes, official leaf shape names, etc. for example what in tarnation is "girl foliage"? i have no idea.

that said i've enjoyed the magazine and have used their "first class" software to print out a list of all african violet varieties that my various coworkers have so that we can all know what's available between us.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Girl foliage is a leaf that has a creamy colored spot at its base. It is so named because the first violet to have this type of leaf was named 'Blue Girl'.

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I agree; their new site is awful.

Linda

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda: but where in the world (or rather, the AVSA web site) do you find that information?

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

Howdy!

Reeds Greenhouse.com has lots of information. Also try googling African Violet Leaf Types.

cyberdancer

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks cyberdancer. :) i probably wasn't clear enough, so i'll explain what i was trying to say. my point was supposed to be that this information should be available on the "official african violet" site, and it wasn't -- at least not that i could find.

• cyberdancer
    10 years ago

Oh yes, I understood that , but I thought you also wanted to know where else you could find information. Seems like AVSA is never going to get that new site together. Very disappointing!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

When I began growing there was no inter-net so I got my information from AV books. I still think this is a great way to learn. The book I used the most was "African Violets" by Helen Van Pelt Wilson. It was first written in1953 and has been up-dated several times through the years. I was looking through it last week and I still think it is a good resource. The only thing I found to be out-dated was the information on pesticides.

Linda

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it's back up for me, though still unhelpful as all get-out. :p

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

Linda , You are a well of information .

So it is worth joining for the magazine only ? Because I have been on the site and have not found anything of much use .

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

bttrflii
    The book Growing to Show has a good section on
    leaf descriptions. It can be purchased from The Violet Barn or from the AVSA.
    Joanne47

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Phillip,

Don't judge AVSA by their web-site. When you join, you get the magazine which I found to be very helpful when I was starting out. It's easier now with the inter-web to find information and vendors but I would try it if I were you and see how you like it.

Linda

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

Oh , I was not really judging them by their web site just trying to figure out if I should spend the money on it or not . The internet is great to find info but I am old fashion and still like my books and magazines in hand ,

This post was edited by Phillip44 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:16

• LunRTwilight
    10 years ago

Their website is also out-dated. I was trying to find out whether their would be an African Violet show anytime soon, either in Atlanta or somewhere close. Oh well. This forum has proven to be immensely more helpful than the AVSA website (which fyi I mean more as a compliment here than an insult to AVSA, but seriously, needs an overhaul on their site).

It would be nice to have all this valuable information on an official site that is easily accessible because, let's be honest, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. You want to be able to trust what you're reading. I was able to visit the AVSA website for the first time today, but I was expecting more, well, wow. :(

LunR

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

LunR,

What makes it worse is that the AVSA web-site is fairly new, maybe in the past two years or so. Their old site was great.

Phillip,

I think the magazine is well worth joining for!

Linda

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i agree, the magazine is nice... if you get yours. i got my first issue when i signed up (unknowingly almost at the same time a coworker did), but while we both got our first issues, only she got the second issue. i still have seen neither hide nor hair of mine... :(

if nothing else, however, being able to claim you're a member of the AVSA makes you look like a nerd, which has immense amusement value when you pop that gem out when talking to friends who were already rolling their eyes at you for having so many plants in the first place. O:-)

• Phillip44
    10 years ago

My friends already think I am a nerd . On Facebook , they are always posting about sports and hunting/fishing and I have pictures of AVs . So I am not worried about what anyone thinks .

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i didn't say i was worried what they thought... i said there is amusement value for me.

i really need to learn to keep my mouth shut (or my fingers still). my humor never goes well on forums, and being misunderstood gets frustrating.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

HI Bttrflii
    I got your Nerd joke.
    When one of my colleagues showed up with
    a stack of AV mags for me to borrow,
    I did indeed think she
    was a nerd. But I was a "recreational drinker" ...
    er, grower ... back then. Trying to stave off
    full-blown addiction.
    I would much rather discuss AVs than football
    anyday.
    Linda, I am glad you explained about the AVSA
    website, it used to be great, anyone could access
    photos and lists. With the new website, only
    members can access that info, so I will join.
    Now I am
    wondering if I will get my mag or not it I join.

Now that I have been collecting and growing
    for a few years, I have built up basic knowledge
    so being a member would be more meaningful
    to me now.
    Joanne

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a note to anyone who goes there... they put a new site up this weekend. so far the events section looks like it's working. :)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

allegedly, there is a monthly password in the mag that gives you access to the website labyrinth...

dave

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

there is.

i didn't actually know a new site was up or how the password even worked until i called in monday to ask where my magazine might be. during that call they said "well here's the password since you don't have your magazine yet", and that's when i found out the new site was up since i went to avsa.org to log in. so then i let everyone here know that the site changed (for the better imo). :)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

so, did they indicate to you that you are going to get your mag?

Tried to email them, but it bounced back, something about "user(s) over quota"

I guess I need to call them too.

dave

• bttrflii
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, the woman i talked to said she's get another magazine shipped out within a couple of days. i haven't gotten it yet, but that's not unusual with our post office if it was mailed tuesday.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm