Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Scooooooooooooore!

korina
18 years ago

I took a vacation day yesterday and attended my first AV club meeting (one hour on the bus, each way). Woo hoo! It was the day before their (our!) semi-annual sale, so there was a number drawing and we all got to go through the sale plants and buy any we wanted. I found a micromini named Precious Purple; I'd never heard of this one, so I was thrilled. I also picked up a noid sport of one of Rob's, a pot of Rob's Snake Charmer (it was shoved at me by the host; she evidently had too many), and some leaves of Teeny Bopper (though I'm doubtful of that one).

I'm going to the sale tomorrow, just because I can. ;-) I'm happy.

Korina (humming happily)

'Lots of planets have a North!' -the Doctor

Comments (9)

• lainielady
    18 years ago

Good for you Korina! I have this feeling you will end up with many more violets!!! Time for more shelves!

Elaine

• nac_mac_feegle
    18 years ago

Ooooooh! Snake Charmer is soooo pretty!

I'm inspired to look up our local club. Ha! Maybe then I won't bother you people so much. (Yeah, right!)

Feegle

Very happy about the new "Best of..." Monty Python DVDs

'No one expects the Inquisition' - Monty Python

• Brambles
    18 years ago

I go to the closest gesneriad club (about an hour & a half away). They are pretty good about "forcing" plants on the new people too.

I have had to be very defensive though. Not a lot of space around here, so I'm saving it for what I really want! Our show is coming up at the end of the month, so I hope to be picking some up then.

Congrats on the good finds.

~Brambles

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Oh, you guys! I'm so jealous about having AV/Gessie clubs nearby. I think the closest to me is at least 2 hours. And at the current price of gas... A-hem.

Anyhow, I'm going to have to look up the "Best of", Feegle.

I haven't been on lately, (did you miss me?) because I started a new job and there's NO time for other things and I started school too, so at night I have to study and all... But I've missed you all, and my plants are still growing.

-Mo (WV)

• nac_mac_feegle
    18 years ago

It turns out that there is an AV club within 15 min. of me! After reading your posts, I'm feeling REALLY lucky. I emailed the contact - they don't have a website - so we'll see what comes of it. Wow! 2 hours???? That blows!

Mo,

I remember that routine... really rough. Good luck!

The Monty Python DVDs are "Monty Python's Flying Circus - Eric Idle's Personal Best" and "Monty Python's Flying Circus - Michael Palin's Personal Best". Lots of classics. Enjoy.

Feegle

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My club is only an hour away by bus; I'm grateful because I have a month pass (unlimited rides for $50 a month) and I can read, watch the scenery, nap, whatever. They take while, but buses have their advantages.

Korina (still traumatized from finishing Doctor Who this weekend)

'My brain hurts.' -Motto of the Napkinhead Society

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally made it to Cash&Carry yesterday and stumbled into a gold mine. I purchased a pkg. of 250 1oz. plastic cups fo $3.65, and two espresso cups (perfect cache pots for 2 oz. cups), with saucers, for $2.04 each.

I also spent Saturday at the Humboldt AV Club yard and plant sale; I kept it down to Rob's Jitterbug and a small Rhipsalidopsis. It does help that they only ordered from Rob's (I have most of the ones I want from him) and they were almost entirely semis and standards. It also help that I actually have a list of specific varieties I'm looking for. Poverty doesen't hurt, either. ;-)

Korina (contented)

• User
    18 years ago

Good for you, Korina. Always happy to hear when someone joins a club. And don't you always feel like the luckiest person in the world when you find little plastic cups? My heart nearly stopped when I saw a big bag of 3 oz plastic bathroom cups at Kroger one day.

I have my gesneriad society meeting this sunday, and will be looking for new types to try now that I've moved to an apt. with unobstructed south facing windows! and only those, too. my poor little AVs got burnt, so now they're away from the windowsill. Our club's sale is next month.

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooo, Nikki, a whole new apartment? With heating and everything? I'll bet your variegateds greened right up.

Does it ever strike any of you that other people might consider us a little -- weird? Little plastic cups don't make most people jump up and down for joy (in public, yet).

Of course, *I* should talk. I'm a science fiction fan, and I (try not to) remember back to my mis-spent youth when I wore a baseball cap with Yoda ears... Okay, I'll admit it; today I'm wearing a Gallifrey One convention t-shirt and my deadly bronze jelly baby with a Tardis strung on it for good measure. But don't tell anyone.

Korina (HAPPY WEEKEND!) (also glad House is BACK, baby!)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville