Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AVSA Scale of Points

Posted by minimac 6 So In. Louisville (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 14:54

Hi All,
I was looking in my Growing to Show book on the check-list of what the judges look for in a show plant. In there it has for example symmetry - 25 points, condition - 25 pts. and so on, but what would really be helpful for me to know is the points judges take off for say smaller leaves below large leaves or to perhaps leave on a slightly damaged leaf. How many points are taken off for each?
Under condition it asks "Have all damaged leaves been removed? (If a damaged leaf affects symmetry, consider the option of leaving it vs. removing it." Guess I need to know my options. LOL
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AVSA Scale of Points

The Growing to Show book is probably the best book you can buy on AVs.

For those baby leaves, smaller rounded leaves under the larger leaves, judges can take off up to 3 points, for each. Some judges would be lenient and take off only one point or two just to help you out. So those baby leaves really are very important to remove.

You may have a damaged leaf or one marked in some way. You could remove it, but it may leave a hole in the symmetry, so it might be worth the lesser points being taken off. A speck of dirt or hole in leaf, or crack or some sort of damage on the leaf--depending on the size and the judge would be from about half a point to a point for each piece of soil, or damage. A missing leaf in the symmetry would mean many more points taken off, possibly up to three points.

A judge can be lenient or very tough. If the show is full of perfect, beautifully grown plants, he/she may judge with full points taken off.

Nancy

o

HI Mac,
As Nancy explained a judge may deduct points for many things. I personally deduct a point for each secondary leaf and maybe a half point for marred leaves. Most points have deductions for condition and these are more severe than any of the others, under condition I deduct points for secondary leaves and dirt etc. There are things that can be controlled by the grower so they should be corrected before judging.
Fred in NJ
A good source for knowing what can be deducted is the AVSA Handbook for growers and ju dges
. Fredin NJ

o

• Posted by minimac 6 So In. Louisville (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 20:23

Thanks for your replies. I entered the Ohio State Show Sept. 16-19, and wasn't sure about a couple of plants. Had a Bob Serbin with three discolored (older) leaves on outer edge. I left them on till I got there. I wasn't confident enough to take them off. My violet mentor extraordinaire who is also a judge told me "never, never leave leaves like those on!" After they came off the gaps weren't so bad. Whew!

I now have an AVSA Handbook. You're right Fred, just what I needed. It will be especially useful in calculating point deductions for my "next" collection class.

THANKS!
Mac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here