Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleywedge

Soil Mealybugs- where to find acephate?

shirleywedge
15 years ago

I have been searching online for a reliable source for Acephate to treat my African Violet's infestation of Mealybugs. Can anyone give me a brand, or store recommendation?

Also, what percentage of the product should be Acephate? I have found Ortho, which is not sold in NY, but is 95%. The others I have found are 75% or less. Can anyone say what is best/safest?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I have used Marathon successfully to kill off soil mealies. It is a form of Imacloprid from what I understand. Marathon is available from Cape Cod Violetry.
    Fred in NJ

• jean001
    15 years ago

Acephate is *not* for indoor use. Not ever!

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

Isn't Acephate for cleaning fingernail polish?

I would not use this chemical and certainly not at 95%.

Some guy on ebay sells Imidacloprid 95% when all you need is about 1%. That's like killing a fly with a cannon!

Nancy

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Nancy - hear-hear!!!

Acetone - is for cleaning nail polish. And kids who huff - use it to huff themselves into drooling idiots.

I just recently looked at acephate - and it is for outdoor only and it is labeled DANGER, and it is dangerous to humans, pets, bees, it will eat your eyes out if it gets there ... The instruction to use - you need almost a biohazard suite - gloves, goggles, long sleeve shirt, rubber boots..

Acephate - is a part of Ortho Insecticide - but I would not even use it on my lawn - I would afraid to touch it afterwards.

Irina

• jean001
    15 years ago

Imidacloprid isn't for indoor use either.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Jean -

I use it as a systemic in soil - so nothing sprayed. I work with soil in latex gloves. And I looked at the info sheet for imidacloprid - there is a parameter L50 - how much per 1 kg of weight you need to consume to have 50% chance to croak. It is tried on rats, not on humans though. But with Marathon having 1% imidacloprid - I would need to eat something like 2 pounds of granules as far as I remember.

Acephate - is carcinogenic, creates a liver and kidney damage etc. - means you do not want to have in your house even small amount of carcinogenic material.

Generally - the safest way to beat mealy bugs - is a dumpster. More time consuming - to restart plants from crowns for soil mealy bugs - and keep spraying rubbing alcohol solution on the foliar mealy bugs. Just do not spray on streptocarpus - they die from alcohol.

If Popsicle insists on using it - please look at the Optimara recommendation. Just stick to the safety procedures - goggles, gloves, long sleeves - and right now you can do it outside in a shade, let the plants dry - and carry them back.

Good luck and take care

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: opti,mara recommendation

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH