Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesley_butterflies

Newbiee here!!!!!!!

wesley_butterflies
14 years ago

I was picking out some fall pansies at a garden / ice cream stand and saw this little tiny thing in a pot with a neat purple flower and yellow eye in the center for 3.98 I figured what the heck its worth a shot It's tag says Saint paulia ( African violet ) I go to the google site and look up how to grow African Violet and say OMG here we go again so much info to follow and as I do dabble with rose growing I figure it is pretty much the same only different

Soil PH fertilizing/feeding watering sun light inside lighting ect... all play a factor in any plant and I do understand that an African Violet is kind of different in it's needs of each of the items mentioned but I am asking for some advice

so far this is what I have done

the online info I got states to put it in a bigger pot one thats both wide and somewhat shallow the site suggested to buy an african violet bag of soil and some odd type of feeding stick also for violets of this type

Well the pot I have on hand and the compost pile out side seemed like the better dirt to me so yeah why not free is better then a trip to a store to get a bag. I read some of the postings to ensure myself that the steps I took thus far are kind of reassuring ( basicly if I fail at growing this Violet I am only out 3.98 )

The pot sits in a two sized round shape glass bowl the bottom is less round then the top so far I let water stand in there ( this I think is wrong ) and 2 inches abouve the standing water is the base of the pot where the glass bowl holds the pot base and incircles it by an inch or so ( Humidity maybe ??)

I placed a hand full of rounded glass craft thinggies to cover the holes at the base of the bigger pot ( about an inch deep )added a very well composted nitro rich ( love them worms ) soil into pot and set the violet on top and into potted soil and then added more to fill pot to top with same composted soil I then gave it a nice little drink of compost tea and let it drain into the bottom of the glass bowl.

I also read that it grows best with window lighting from the east ( I have no such a window anywhere )and half day sun ( seems like it needs to be in a cooler sun too )

but thus far my odds dont look to good the best sun I can offer is North ( but would rather it be in late afternoonish sun) and I can't help but assume if I place it south there too would be cooler sun my south provides late day sun ( evening sun here )

Even though I am willing to spend a bit of effort on this new found beauty I think it best it not become a nice big hobbie for myslef ( like them roses ) but do look for a bit of direction for best growth if it dies or gets sick I am not in concern to much Ill just chalk it up as an experimint and move on to something else that can bring flowering color inside the house with out the touch of rocket science.

Comments (4)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I have been groiwng AV's for over 25 years and have gone to numerous garden clubs and av societies to speak about the care of av's. I have three pages of handouts that I distribute to these groups. If yhou would like them, email me and I will send them back to you.
    Fred in NJ

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

Welcome!
    Keeping an African Violet is not rocket science so don't be afraid. :) Getting it to bloom as if you were about to enter it into a flower show takes a bit more effort (extra lighting). Most of the complicated instructions are over the top, too wordy and designed for people who plan to wick-water feed or Grow For Show.

Garden Web does have basic care instructions - although I disagree with feeding at every watering...it should maybe have a 2nd option for people who don't wick.

#1 DON'T over water!! (But don't forget to water - letting plant go limp as the reminder to water is stressful :) And would you want to be dying of thirst everytime before your next drink? (Okay: this was my sin before finding GardenWeb!)

#2 Even potting soil designed for African Violets generally needs Perlite added to it. (Check the soil around your plant - it may be mostly peat; you probably want to repot soon. (At least when it stops blooming.)

Leaving them in the soil they're sold in tends to be the kiss of death because they get soggy and stay soggy for a long time. (Should not feel like it weighs a ton after a normal watering)

#3 If the afternoon sun is too hot in the window, try a sheer curtain between. Rotate the plant a bit when you water so it doesn't grow lopsided, leaning the same way all the time towards the light.

Now we'll all sit back and see how long it takes for your first purchase of a named AV and some kind of lighting system. [grins] Slippery slope! Just like roses?
    Laurie in Maine

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic Care (a place to start)

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

I'm no expert, everything I know I learned here, so maybe I'm close to being an expert. LOL . . . not!

I just want to comment on the light issue. . . you said you don't have an east window, and you mentioned a north window. I have two no id's growing in a north window and both of them are on their 3rd bloom cycle since I gave them an extreme makeover with the help of alot of nice folks here. One I've only had since April of this year and the other I've had for over a year but it hadn't bloomed since I bought it. My north window is in a bathroom, and the toilet is under a window. They sit on the back of the toilet so they are really close to the glass.

One thing to remember tho is the less light they get the longer it will take for them to dry out slightly, thus causing them to stay wet longer which isn't a good thing either. I have mine in one of Al's mixes and the watering isn't an isuue for me.

Hope this helps. . . you're in good hands. Lots of people here know a lot about growing AV's, if you pay attention you'll have healthy blooming plants in no time.

Maid

• Christine
    14 years ago

Welcome W.B.!

Don't be alarmed by all of the information about growing African Violets on the internet! You really don't need a touch of rocket science to grow African Violets. Like you said, they are like growing roses, only different! Like roses, violets like lots of light. Difference: not much direct sunlight (other than early morning in an east window). That's why dognapper2 suggested a sheer curtain in your window. You prune roses to shape them. Violets sometimes grow suckers that need to be pruned so they don't spoil the desired round symmetrical shape. Roses get bugs and diseases that need to be treated. So do violets, but generally different ones. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you!

You said your African Violet is a little tiny thing that you repotted after reading to put it into a bigger pot. Be careful not to overpot it. The usual practice is to grow violets in a pot that is 1/3 of the plant's diameter. This keeps the small root system from being surrounded by wet mix that the roots can't handle. From there fungus, disease, and rot can set in. Overwatering is probably the #1 killer of violets. Also, violets bloom better when slightly rootbound, so smaller pots help you to see those gorgeous flowers inside your home during most of the year.

Please return and let us know how your tiny little AV fares. Good luck. Warning: they can be addicting. Once you see the full head of blooms inside on a dreary winter day you'll probably want to buy more!