Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inlovewithhoyas

ID Please

inlovewithhoyas
14 years ago

Can someone help me identify this beauty.

{{gwi:374552}}

Comments (15)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Hopeless. Out of 15000 registered and many lookalikes..

Call it "My Unidentified Beauty" and love it all the same.

The pic is so small - I can only say that it is a healthy looking plant. I cannot even say if it is a trailer or a standard.

Good Luck

Irina

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks irina @ leastthanks to you I know its a standard. I will try to post another pic.

Nae boston

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh sorry irina I didn't read the part that said "a trailer or a standard". Well all I can tell you about this AV is that the flower is a pale pink and what it seems to be little splashes of purple. I got them from a florist and unfortunately, they don't ever have the name for the plants.

Nae boston

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of that AV

{{gwi:374553}}

I have pictures of my new ones as well and I wanted to share them with you guys.

here is some other ones that I have no id for:
    Dark purple and white
    {{gwi:374554}}

pale pink with pink edging (ruffled)
    {{gwi:374555}}

Dark Purple
    {{gwi:374556}}

Purple and white
    {{gwi:374557}}

Wine color
    {{gwi:374558}}

Thanks,
    nae boston

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Nae -

trailer or standard - describes the type of the plant - is it many crowns trailing plant - or single crown rosette shaped. Usually - if it is a rosette plant - you need to maintain single crown, removing side offshoots - which you can easily root.

The color of your bloom would be pink with purple fantasy. Which are plenty.

I would imagine that florist shop buys their violets in quantity from some greenhouse - it could be run of the mill industrial type violets - or named violets from a relatively small place. If you stop by the florists - and say - I got it from you - where did you get them and can we track the name - if they can they help.

Good luck - and make the closeup of your plant - so we all can enjoy it. You need to stabilize your camera - either tripod - or just put your elbows on the table - get it as close as you can get a good focus - and shoot. If your camera has a macro setting - even better.

Irina

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you irina I will follow up on your suggestions.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Wow -

great looking plants you have!!

I just looked through your pics. I bet you have a collection of Optimaras, and blue and white is possibly Anthoflores something. I have a sport of it - leaf chimera Harmony Little Stinker - but I do not know what was the original name.

I have the suspicion that the colors are seriously off. You say dark purple and white - and I see dark blue and white. Could it be?

The best light to use is natural - so if you put your violets near the bright window - and shoot from the side - not against the window.

Otherwise your best beloved violet looks kinda mauve to me...

Really - you have a green touch - they look soo healthy annd happy!

Irina

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you irina,

actually the ones that look blue, I took the picture at my office and you know how they have those flourescent lights. I really would love to take pics of the real colors of them =). I will try again.

nae boston

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Nae - your camera may have a setting that allows you to change the "white balance" so that you'll get accurate pictures even in fluorescent lights. Not all cameras do, but some do.

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Nae -

I would guess that your blue and white is pretty close to Optimara Chagall - since it is NOID, it came from the store - mostly Optimaras and Anthoflores get there - similar Anthoflores has leaves that are not flat, they are kinda bunched up, and Optimara Chagall is nice and flat.

Otherwise -

even if you guess what it is, you never can be sure, so - NOIDs make great gifts to friends, family - or just collectors that do not care if the plant has tag or not. I always have a tray with AVs that didn't bloom true to the variety, or if the tag is lost and I couldn't figure it out etc. The only way to have a named variety - is buy it with a tag, check if it is matches the description, make a pic of it and stash in your computer etc.

Good Luck and Happy Growing

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Optimara Chagall

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting that picture irina, they do look like the ones I have @ home. I think ones I can id them I will place tags on them myself.

Thanks a bunch,
    Nae boston

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Nae -

when you will be making tags - you can write "probably Optimara Chagall" etc. When you attend the show - you can see the properly named plants and check them one more time. For example - your pink ruffled pansy - I bet there are hundreds of plants with this type of flower - but they will differ in a shape and color of leaves, buds etc.

I remember recently there was a discussion about Optimara series "little Jewel" - and the difference between Little Sapphire and Little Turquoise - was, excuse me, - the back side of the leaves - one of them has red veins, and another green. It is just another example how indistinguishable they could be.

Irina

• inlovewithhoyas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh wow, irina I had no idea! You right, I am going to pay extra attention on how they differ and how they identify these plants. Thank you for all of your help I really, really appreciate it. Even though I have african violets and learned to propagate them, I am still relatively new.

Thanks so, so much

Nae boston

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Since I started making a list of what I like, I've noticed tht I'm drawn to particular types. So, I have ten on my list that all look like Maverick's Faded Jeans, for example. There are a few of them that I honestly couldn't tell apart without help or a label! it makes sense, though, because there are no rules against registering something that looks like something else and it's easy to hybridize them (I mean compared to creating a new dog breed, let's say).

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Yep - the description in the MVL is pretty generic - so if you say - it is single pink pansy, leaves are medium green plain - you get hundreds of them. While if you put them side by side - not pics side by side - but real plants - you can see enough subtle difference, which cannot be described by the accepted terminology. The fact that some of them you cannot even distinguish when they are side by side...
    Basically makes any NOID a permanent NOID.

I.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner